Aug 19, 2014, 12:43 PM EDT
There are 16 players still on the Team USA roster and they can only carry 12 when they head to Spain for the World Cup starting Oct. 30. I made my best guess on the cut downs based on who played against Brazil and what I saw at practice in Las Vegas, but we’re all throwing darts here to a degree. We don’t know what Mike Krzyzewski is going to do exactly.
USA Basketball officials have said they planned to carry 16 players through this week of practices with two exhibition games against the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico. Then the cuts come.
Final cuts to the Team USA roster could come as soon as Thursday, according to USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo.
Colangelo told ESPN.com that one scenario under consideration by USA Basketball officials is reducing the current 16-man roster to 12 or 13 players after Wednesday night’s exhibition game against the Dominican Republic at Madison Square Garden.
Most likely the full 16 go through the weekend, but things can change.
Team USA seems to have a core of eight guys Coach K will lean on: Anthony Davis, Derrick Rose, James Harden, Kenneth Faried, Steph Curry, Rudy Gay, Klay Thompson and Kyrie Irving. It also appears DeMarcus Cousins is a lock at backup center. That’s nine.
Which leaves three spots to be divided between Mason Plumlee, Andre Drummond, Chandler Parsons, Gordon Hayward and Kyle Korver. My guess is one of the two big men stays (Plumlee played and Drummond didn’t against Brazil) and one of the combo forwards (Parsons played, Gordon didn’t), then they keep Korver for the shooting. But things could shift after the USA faces a Dominican team Wednesday that’s not exactly intimidating with Al Horford out.
- Kevin Durant says he’d ‘love to’ stay with Thunder his entire career, wants his jersey retired in OKC 7
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 19
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 7
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 5
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 7