Aug 19, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
Talk to the Spurs’ Matt Bonner for just a few minutes and if you picture him in a car it will likely be a classic American convertible, say a 1966 Pontiac GTO. He’d be cruising top-down through America finding the best sandwich shops anywhere.
Turns out what Bonner had been driving is a 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix. And it died.
So it was time to do some new car shopping, and because it’s August the San Antonio Express-News decided to find out what he got and write about it. And because it’s August I’ll pass the answer along — a 2014 Chevy Impala.
“Love it,” he said. “It’s completely remodeled. It’s American-made. You have to stay true to your roots, right? I tried an Audi. I tried an Infiniti. I looked into a BMW, some of the higher-end stuff. It just didn’t feel like me.
“The leg room is far superior, which is basically No. 1. No. 2, it has over 300 horse power, which is plenty for me. And it still gets 29 MPGs, which is pretty good for a mid-size model. It had all the same technology packages. It has ventilated seats. It’s very luxurious.”
As someone who in the last year purchased an American made car after not being sure I’d do that again (Ford Fusion hybrid, if you care), I am with Bonner here. I tried other models in the class but the feel and technology of the American car won me over.
Although since it’s a new car Bonner may not want to eat those sandwiches in the car, potentially staining the luxurious ventilated seats.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 32
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 49
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4