Matt Bonner goes new car shopping, chooses Chevy

Aug 19, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT

Matt Bonner

Talk to the Spurs’ Matt Bonner for just a few minutes and if you picture him in a car it will likely be a classic American convertible, say a 1966 Pontiac GTO. He’d be cruising top-down through America finding the best sandwich shops anywhere.

Turns out what Bonner had been driving is a 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix. And it died.

So it was time to do some new car shopping, and because it’s August the San Antonio Express-News decided to find out what he got and write about it. And because it’s August I’ll pass the answer along — a 2014 Chevy Impala.

“Love it,” he said. “It’s completely remodeled. It’s American-made. You have to stay true to your roots, right? I tried an Audi. I tried an Infiniti. I looked into a BMW, some of the higher-end stuff. It just didn’t feel like me.

“The leg room is far superior, which is basically No. 1. No. 2, it has over 300 horse power, which is plenty for me. And it still gets 29 MPGs, which is pretty good for a mid-size model. It had all the same technology packages. It has ventilated seats. It’s very luxurious.”

As someone who in the last year purchased an American made car after not being sure I’d do that again (Ford Fusion hybrid, if you care), I am with Bonner here. I tried other models in the class but the feel and technology of the American car won me over.

Although since it’s a new car Bonner may not want to eat those sandwiches in the car, potentially staining the luxurious ventilated seats.

1. rrhoe - Aug 19, 2014 at 6:13 PM

Nice,a player that’s practical.

• avb300 - Aug 20, 2014 at 1:01 AM

Hmm Luxury cars aren’t for him…SMH

Check out this post on rim protectors:

• duhwighthoward - Aug 20, 2014 at 2:11 AM

I rented an Impala a couple of years ago. It had its good points, but the delayed acceleration was annoying. And Bonner’s mistaken if he thinks he’ll get over 30 mpg. I got under 20.

My friend bought a new one a few years ago for an outrageously low price. But its already had thousands of dollars worth of repairs.

I had a 1969 Impala. Now that was a car. The trunk was so big, you could fit longboards in there. For you landlocked losers, they are over 9 feet long. There was so much room in the backseat, you could hit almost every position imaginable with your girl back there. If you cruised on the highway, I swear you could get over 20 mpg. But if you raced often like I did, you’d get under 10.

2. chicitybulls - Aug 19, 2014 at 6:16 PM

I’ve always only owned American cars. 3 Buicks, a Chevy, an Oldsmobile and now a GMC (however I do have a foreign motorcycle (Hayabusa) but does that count?).

3. 00maltliquor - Aug 19, 2014 at 6:22 PM

Nissan, Honda, Chevy/his stash is never empty…

• dondada10 - Aug 19, 2014 at 10:24 PM

I had a friend who lived in Greenpoint off the Meeker/Morgan exit

4. cj1403 - Aug 19, 2014 at 6:25 PM

Don’t Hayabusas have Harley-Davidson Engines?

• chicitybulls - Aug 19, 2014 at 6:34 PM

I dont think so. If they do, I hadn’t heard that.

• asimonetti88 - Aug 19, 2014 at 7:02 PM

No. But Suzuki put the Hayabusa engine in a race car.

5. jimsjam33 - Aug 19, 2014 at 6:27 PM

American made for me too ! Ford F-150 Can’t beat it !

6. canuckinamerica - Aug 19, 2014 at 6:27 PM

Good ol’ Canadian boy stays humble. Kind of like Beiber?? Bad example…….

7. innovativethinking87 - Aug 19, 2014 at 6:28 PM

Toyota’s and Honda’s are the best as far as affordability and reliability goes.. Plain and simple the rest of opinions is just for patriotic purposes

8. borisalessandri - Aug 19, 2014 at 6:43 PM

We used to see him zip around town in his Grand Prix every so often. Once I ran into him at the gas station, very cool dude and he pumps his own gas. Bonner is a class act and stand up guy

• xmen1906 - Aug 20, 2014 at 11:05 AM

Is he suppose to have a guy on staff that rides with him to pump his gas?

9. whodey4life513 - Aug 19, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Who cares?! Why is this even a article? Woo he bought a car, has he done anything relevant to basketball?

• Kurt Helin - Aug 19, 2014 at 9:49 PM

Because people click on it and read it. Like you did.

It’s August. Chill.

10. worldbfree4me - Aug 19, 2014 at 6:51 PM

A Smart Player that realizes he is average NBA PLAYER with likely a Average Shelf Life! If he was a Brother, he would have probably purchased a Ferrari or similar only to have it repossessed a few years later!!

• genericcommenter - Aug 20, 2014 at 5:56 AM

10 years, $27 million so far.Seems to be one of the few veteran players who hasn’t managed at least 1 crazy overpaid contract, but he keeps getting his $3 million or so year after years. He’s near the end but he had a way above average shelf life.

11. sportsfan18 - Aug 19, 2014 at 6:54 PM

So much has changed with the auto industry. Many Fords were made in Mexico. Many Honda’s were made in Ohio.

Also, most parts were made elsewhere and then the cars were assembled in the U.S.

Many years ago there was a U.S. car and a foreign car. One company I worked at gave discounts for folks buying American.

A man bought a Ford that was made 75% OUTSIDE of the U.S. and he didn’t get much of a discount.

A man bought a Honda Civic from Ohio and got more money from the company.

I used to work for a Japanese auto manufacturing plant in Tennessee. So many of the parts were made in U.S. factories by U.S. citizens, like our plant and many others all around.

Most of our parts went into Nissan’s that were being assembled in Smyrna, TN or in Mississippi by American’s.

The world is so different now.

Also, in the TN plant I worked at, our corp headquarters had plants all over Japan too and they made a lot of parts and shipped them to us and we sent them to G.M. and other U.S. assembly plants in Kentucky and elsewhere.

So many American cars have parts from all over the world in them. Many U.S. cars have parts from Japan in them.

Sure, the name Chevy is American, but many of the parts are not American in them.

Sure, the name Honda and Nissan are Japanese, but many of the parts were made here in the U.S. and many of the cars were assembled here in the states by Americans…

The lines are definitely blurred when it comes to autos being foreign or American.

• duhwighthoward - Aug 20, 2014 at 1:44 AM

… except for Dodge, which will always suck irregardless.

You did make a good point in your comment. Thank you for your insight.

12. robigd - Aug 19, 2014 at 8:32 PM

The man, myth, and legend responsible for breaking “The Ibaka Code”. Good for the Red Rocket!!

13. cbking05 - Aug 19, 2014 at 8:35 PM

Slap some rims on it fool …

14. lbroberts123 - Aug 19, 2014 at 8:42 PM

Good choice. The 2014 Impalas are really nice.

• dondada10 - Aug 19, 2014 at 10:27 PM

They are but I was always a fan of the big body model.

15. ProBasketballPundit - Aug 19, 2014 at 8:46 PM

2006 Suzuki SV1000S for me. Top speed: 178mph.

I just melted down my car to afford new chain & sprockets for the bike.

• duhwighthoward - Aug 20, 2014 at 1:46 AM

1969 Chevy Impala. Top speed: 120+ miles per hour.

The speedometer was pegged.

16. fansrus - Aug 19, 2014 at 9:18 PM

Doesn’t he keep in touch with the news? With reality? Anyone who has anything to do with running Chevy should be in prison, let alone continuing to draw a salary based on profits earned by those who never heard of Fool me once, shame on you, Fool me twice, shame on me. I am not anti American, but definitely anti Chevy after the way they knowingly killed people and covered it up for many years.

• duhwighthoward - Aug 20, 2014 at 1:46 AM

Mitsubishi too.

17. fansrus - Aug 19, 2014 at 10:10 PM

This is chill. I really haven’t gotten started. Sports fans don’t have to shut out the rest of the world y’know.

18. stayhigh_247 - Aug 19, 2014 at 10:40 PM

i like this dude, i bet he’s got all his money stashed.

19. titansbro - Aug 19, 2014 at 11:06 PM

Agree it’s nice to see he’s a practical, but still very rich dude.

But to say GM is American made is off base. These are multi-national corporations now. It’s not your granddad’s GM. I don’t know anyone who works for an “American” car manufacturer. But I know 4-5 people who are American spread across Nissan & Toyota. Other than the Saleens & some other “special” cars, I’m not sure there’s a car that exists that is 100% made in America. I believe a read somewhere there are more Americans employed by foreign car makers now than American.

Anyway, if I felt a foreign car is a better value & better quality, why would I buy an American car? Because the profit went to an American billionaire rather than a foreign billionaire? Ridiculous.

• duhwighthoward - Aug 20, 2014 at 1:53 AM

Well, if you believe in trickle-down economics, then that billionaire would drop some change for you to run and gather. I’m not really sure how it’s supposed to work. The only thing that trickled down during the 80’s made the Gipper’s pants smell icky.

You hit the nail on the head. Allegiance to American cars is ridiculous. Especially considering how they helped bankrupt our country.

20. usm418 - Aug 20, 2014 at 12:06 AM

America! Well done Matt.

• duhwighthoward - Aug 20, 2014 at 1:54 AM

For a guy who plays with a bunch of immigrants, I would have expected him to broaden his horizons.

21. genericcommenter - Aug 20, 2014 at 5:57 AM

He sold out the day he stopped taking the bus.

22. canadatude - Aug 20, 2014 at 10:05 PM

When he played with the Raptors in aToronto, he got his nickname (Red Rocket) from riding the subway.

Heat can make playoffs without LeBron
Top 10 NBA Player Searches