Aug 19, 2014, 9:21 AM EDT
There’s no questioning the fact that James Harden is one of the game’s elite offensive players, one who has proven capable of scoring in a variety of ways — both in the paint, and from well beyond three-point distance.
It’s another story entirely on the defensive end of the floor, but evidently, Harden wasn’t taking that into consideration when making a statement about his current place among the league’s top players.
Scoop: Bottom line, you are on this team and a lot of players aren’t, but in your mind, who is the best basketball player alive right now?
Scoop: That’s what I was about to say, “including you.” You made that sound like it was an easy answer.
Harden: It is. Myself.
Now, despite the minor issue of this being what most would consider a factually incorrect assertion, there isn’t really anything wrong with Harden making this declaration.
Confidence is everything in basketball, and Harden is far from the first player to proclaim he’s the greatest. Stephen Curry recently said he’s a better offensive player than LeBron James, and guys like Derrick Rose and John Wall have similarly said that they believe they are the best.
The entire interview is worth checking out, because for the most part, Harden comes across as being appropriately humble, and goes on to say some honest things. His confidence comes from having a tremendous work ethic, and putting that time in consistently — which makes his initial statement at least a little bit less absurd.
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 5
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 1
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 3
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 56
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 65
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 7
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 31