Aug 19, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
When you’re a free agent trying to latch on to a bench role on a team, a very public arrest and court case is going to keep teams away from you.
That is what Dante Cunningham faced. The free agent who played with Minnesota last year had been arrested on some ugly domestic violence charges (choking his girlfriend), that led to him getting booed by home fans at the end of last season then no team going near him in free agency this summer.
Monday, all those charges were dismissed. His job search will now start in earnest.
The Associated Press had the details.
But Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman issued a statement on Monday saying that “based on further investigation, there is not proof beyond a reasonable doubt for the charged offense.”
“In the deepest part of my heart, I knew what happened. I knew the situation and I knew I was going to be cleared,” Cunningham told The Associated Press in a telephone interview on Monday evening. “I was hoping that all would’ve been done before the season ended. But God has a plan and here I am today and just ready to go forward.”
Cunningham, 26, averaged 6 points and 4 rebounds a game in about 20 minutes a night off the bench for the Timberwolves last season. He’s a pick-and-pop big man who thrives on the long two on offense — he took 58 percent of his shots from 16 feet out to the arc. While he hit a respectable 39.2 percent of those that’s still a pretty inefficient shot and with that Cunningham is a pretty inefficient scorer. What likely lands him a contract is that he’s a pretty good defender, especially against the pick-and-roll, and he can defend the three or the four.
At this point he’ll be playing for the minimum most likely, but after this he’ll be happy just to be in the Association.
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 18
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 37
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85