Aug 18, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
We don’t have a number, but Carmelo Anthony looks slimmer. There are reports he’s dropped weight.
“In anything, you get older, and getting leaner and lighter helps with the longevity of your career,” Anthony’s trainer, Idan Ravin, told ESPNNewYork.com in a phone conversation Thursday afternoon.
“He’s played a lot of years,” Ravin added. “He puts a lot of mileage on his legs, so the leaner and lighter you are, obviously the better.”
He said there was not an aggressive, specific weight loss program, it was more the result of increased cardio and Anthony working hard to stick with his diet. Basically what a lot of players — Kobe Bryant, Ray Allen, Steve Nash and others — do as they age.
There were also reports Anthony dropped weight to better fit in the triangle, and maybe that’s a part of it. But this is likely the larger reason. Much like LeBron James’ weight loss, this is about keeping knees and a body that has seen some milage healthy. Plus Anthony is again going to have to carry a huge load with the Knicks this year. He’s going to need to stay healthy and on the court.
Of course, if one were cynical, one would say Anthony is hoping to be around for the contract after this one.
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 14
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 10
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18