Aug 18, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
We don’t have a number, but Carmelo Anthony looks slimmer. There are reports he’s dropped weight.
“In anything, you get older, and getting leaner and lighter helps with the longevity of your career,” Anthony’s trainer, Idan Ravin, told ESPNNewYork.com in a phone conversation Thursday afternoon.
“He’s played a lot of years,” Ravin added. “He puts a lot of mileage on his legs, so the leaner and lighter you are, obviously the better.”
He said there was not an aggressive, specific weight loss program, it was more the result of increased cardio and Anthony working hard to stick with his diet. Basically what a lot of players — Kobe Bryant, Ray Allen, Steve Nash and others — do as they age.
There were also reports Anthony dropped weight to better fit in the triangle, and maybe that’s a part of it. But this is likely the larger reason. Much like LeBron James’ weight loss, this is about keeping knees and a body that has seen some milage healthy. Plus Anthony is again going to have to carry a huge load with the Knicks this year. He’s going to need to stay healthy and on the court.
Of course, if one were cynical, one would say Anthony is hoping to be around for the contract after this one.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 14
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50