Aug 18, 2014, 6:23 PM EDT
That’s just Ballmer being Ballmer
The Los Angeles Clippers held a rally for fans Monday afternoon at Staples Center, one designed to say this is a new era and introduce new owner Steve Ballmer to the fan base.
Well, that’s quite a first impression.
Ballmer spent 15 minutes basically screaming as loud as he had since he tried to sell Zunes (he’s the former Microsoft CEO, worth $20 billion). He promised the Clippers would be “HARDCORE” (you need to use all caps when describing a Ballmer rally) and got the crowd to chant “LARRY” as in O’Brien. The NBA Championship trophy. Ballmer promised more Larrys in the next 26 years than the last 26. So… one should cover that.
It was a completely whack, over the top performance. The players could barely suppress their laughter, watch them.
And still this is good for the Clippers.
Donald Sterling was an energy drain on the organization, staff tried to shield him from basketball operations and spent time worrying about when he would do something and they would have to go into damage control.
Ballmer is optimistic and energetic. Maybe to a fault. But if I’m a Clipper fan — or player — I will take that trade-off in a heartbeat.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 14
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32