Aug 18, 2014, 6:23 PM EDT
That’s just Ballmer being Ballmer
The Los Angeles Clippers held a rally for fans Monday afternoon at Staples Center, one designed to say this is a new era and introduce new owner Steve Ballmer to the fan base.
Well, that’s quite a first impression.
Ballmer spent 15 minutes basically screaming as loud as he had since he tried to sell Zunes (he’s the former Microsoft CEO, worth $20 billion). He promised the Clippers would be “HARDCORE” (you need to use all caps when describing a Ballmer rally) and got the crowd to chant “LARRY” as in O’Brien. The NBA Championship trophy. Ballmer promised more Larrys in the next 26 years than the last 26. So… one should cover that.
It was a completely whack, over the top performance. The players could barely suppress their laughter, watch them.
And still this is good for the Clippers.
Donald Sterling was an energy drain on the organization, staff tried to shield him from basketball operations and spent time worrying about when he would do something and they would have to go into damage control.
Ballmer is optimistic and energetic. Maybe to a fault. But if I’m a Clipper fan — or player — I will take that trade-off in a heartbeat.
- Report: Klay Thompson’s camp ‘frustrated’ Warriors have yet to offer a max contract extension 1
- Report: Kobe Bryant viewed Dwight Howard leaving Lakers in free agency as ‘a positive’ 30
- Report: Cavaliers have had ‘zero discussion’ on contract extension with Tristan Thompson 12
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 10
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 70