Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally

Aug 18, 2014, 6:23 PM EDT

That’s just Ballmer being Ballmer

The Los Angeles Clippers held a rally for fans Monday afternoon at Staples Center, one designed to say this is a new era and introduce new owner Steve Ballmer to the fan base.

Well, that’s quite a first impression.

Ballmer spent 15 minutes basically screaming as loud as he had since he tried to sell Zunes (he’s the former Microsoft CEO, worth $20 billion). He promised the Clippers would be “HARDCORE” (you need to use all caps when describing a Ballmer rally) and got the crowd to chant “LARRY” as in O’Brien. The NBA Championship trophy. Ballmer promised more Larrys in the next 26 years than the last 26. So… one should cover that.

It was a completely whack, over the top performance. The players could barely suppress their laughter, watch them.

And still this is good for the Clippers.

Donald Sterling was an energy drain on the organization, staff tried to shield him from basketball operations and spent time worrying about when he would do something and they would have to go into damage control.

Ballmer is optimistic and energetic. Maybe to a fault. But if I’m a Clipper fan — or player — I will take that trade-off in a heartbeat.

1. losanginsight - Aug 18, 2014 at 6:37 PM

What a joke. This team needs to go back to back to back to back to back to back to back to earn any respect in LA.

2. motobus - Aug 18, 2014 at 6:38 PM

Seems pretty relaxed by Ballmer standards.

• avb300 - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:30 PM

Mark Cuban 2.0. Ballmer seems crazy in a good way.

Mark’s great but he’s too opinionated for his own good.

• pbtunpaidwriter - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:38 PM

Mark Cuban 2.0. Ballmer seems crazy in a good way.

Mark’s great but he’s too opinionated for his own good.

3. pukpokito - Aug 18, 2014 at 6:48 PM

THAT TELLS YOU A NEW ERA HAS BEGAN FOR THE LOS ANGELES CLIPPERS. ACTIONS AND WORDS SPEAKING LOUDLY AT THE SAME TIME. Wow. Now I believe can win the NBA Championship because the owner is on board and wants to win..at all costs.

4. larams2016 - Aug 18, 2014 at 6:51 PM

Ballmer is not ready for prime time. Such antics might go over in small town Seattle, but that’s to cheesy for LA. Also, it was too much that he demanded fans to chant. Maybe his Microsoft employees could be commanded to bark like a dog. But, his paying customers shouldn’t allow themselves to dance for the billionare.

I was genuinely interested in watching Ballmer’s introduction. He took about one minute to convince me I’d seen enough.

5. eugenesaxe1 - Aug 18, 2014 at 6:53 PM

He can afford to act a fool, and as a player, I’d want to see that kind of enthusiasm from my owner.
    If Ballmer gets some good basketball people to run things, they could be set for a good while.

• motobus - Aug 18, 2014 at 7:23 PM

Plus everyone in the building gets free Zunes.

• titansbro - Aug 19, 2014 at 1:50 PM

it’s why his first move was to extend doc rivers. that’s a win already.

6. realfootballfan - Aug 18, 2014 at 6:59 PM

So from a crazy person as an owner to a crazy person as an owner, lol?

• Wammy Giveaway - Aug 18, 2014 at 7:15 PM

Technically, from a crazy person who was evil, to a crazy person whose heart is in the right place. I’m of the “crazy person with a heart” variety.

• caeser12 - Aug 18, 2014 at 9:40 PM

A crazy person with a heart who allowed the crazy Wife of the former crazy person to stick around.

7. pburghballin - Aug 18, 2014 at 7:01 PM

This is actually kind of awesome. I saw this coming 10 million miles away. All ya gotta do is go to YouTube and watch some of his employee and stockholder presentations. He’s a madman…in a good way. Owning a basketball team isn’t like running the largest software manufacturer on planet Earth (not that running a franchise is easy though). Personally I think he’ll be a great owner. If I’m a Clippers player…yeah I’m laughing…and cheering, and clapping, and being completely stoked that this guy is my owner now. Also, if you don’t think this guys enthusiasm will pay dividends for the players on the court you got another thing coming. I think the Clippers just got just a tad more dangerous, not much, but a little. Best thing to happen to ownership since Mark Cuban.

8. mrmcl - Aug 18, 2014 at 7:12 PM

More embarrassing than Sterling — he does this in PUBLIC, imagine what he does in private.

9. cameltoehoe - Aug 18, 2014 at 7:40 PM

Really? There’s nothing to scream about. It’s the Clippers.

10. boltsup - Aug 18, 2014 at 7:46 PM

He’s from Seattle

11. imthedudedude - Aug 18, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Then we are going to South Carolina and Arizona, New Mexico, then we are going to Washington DC to take back the White House!! Byyyyaaaahhhhhh

12. fearthehoody - Aug 18, 2014 at 8:14 PM

He’s still better than what’s left of the Buss family!!

13. csbanter - Aug 18, 2014 at 9:24 PM

Now we just need Bill Gates to buy a team, and the trifecta will be complete, Allen, Ballmer, and Gates. The Clippers are still behind the Spurs, and Thunder in the west. Blake Griffin or Chris Paul will have to be the MVP of league for them to have a chance to win it.

One of those guys are going to have to take his game to an even higher level. The Clippers just don’t have the depth of other teams.

14. caeser12 - Aug 18, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Shelly Sterling.

Enough said.

Frauds.

15. 00maltliquor - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:33 PM

He tried way too hard, came off as a tad corny. At least he has passion though. I was hoping for him to rattle off a, “NOT ONE, NOT TWO, NOT THREE…..” lol!

Sidenote: Come on Matt Barnes, you’re too old to be wearing your pants like that homie.

16. fm31970 - Aug 19, 2014 at 12:03 AM

Matt Foley bought an NBA team!?!?

I can see Doc Rivers getting tired of this guy’s act REALLY quickly.

17. luz56 - Aug 19, 2014 at 7:13 AM

Looks like the Hollywood Fakers have some competition now for the spotlight ….

18. nokoolaidcowboy - Aug 19, 2014 at 8:36 AM

Diveluprs, diveluprs, diveluprs!!!

19. reverend5150 - Aug 19, 2014 at 1:03 PM

“…And I live in a van down by the river!!!!”

20. Jaime - Aug 19, 2014 at 6:37 PM

Ok is it me or does it sounds like Steve is giving a MS keynote speech, but trying to insert sport/basketball into it. LOL Though I have to admit I am happy for the clipper fans and community that they have a great owner and a awesome leader finally.

By the way I am a Laker fan, i’m just happy to to see racism is not winning.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches