Michael Carter-Williams says he’s ready to lead if Thad Young is traded from Sixers

Aug 18, 2014, 11:17 AM EDT

Michael Carter-Williams Michael Carter-Williams

The Sixers traded just about all of their veteran pieces as part of the team’s tanking rebuilding process, but Thaddeus Young remains on the roster — at least for the next few days.

Young is expected to be dealt as part of the Kevin Love trade from the Timberwolves to the Cavaliers, with Philadelphia receiving Anthony Bennett in return. That would leave only Jason Richardson as a veteran voice in the locker room, but he missed all of last season due to injury, and has an expiring contract worth just over $6 million for next season that would make him a desirable asset in a trade of his own.

The Sixers are choosing to go with a full-fledged youth movement, essentially starting from scratch. The leadership on the roster needs to come from somewhere as the team continues to grow, and Michael Carter-Williams says he’s up for the challenge.

From Tom Moore of The Intelligencer:

The 22-year-old also believes he’s ready to be the Sixers’ leader if a rumored trade of veteran power forward Thaddeus Young to the Timberwolves occurs on or after Saturday.

“Definitely,” he said. “I think regardless who is on the team, I have to be a leader out there, give direction to the new guys and really bring the team together.”

Asked about Young’s impact on his development, the 2013-14 NBA Rookie of the Year spoke in the past tense, though he said he’s not sure if Young “will be here with us.”

“Thad was very important,” Carter-Williams said. “He taught me a lot.”

Carter-Williams took home Rookie of the Year honors last season, and as the team’s starting point guard, leading from that position would make plenty of sense.

He’s not yet 100 percent after undergoing shoulder surgery this offseason, but expects to be ready to go once training camp opens at the end of next month.

1. detroitbasketballfan - Aug 18, 2014 at 11:33 AM

who else read this as ” Michael Carter Williams ready to leave if Thad Young is traded from the sixers “

• dohoangquan35 - Aug 18, 2014 at 12:58 PM

homonymy at its finest

2. ProBasketballPundit - Aug 18, 2014 at 1:06 PM

I was hired as the co-manager of a Little Caesars when I was 18 and I thought, “I’m smart. I’m talented. I’m ready to lead.”

I wasn’t.

Years later I got my second management position in a warehouse after I had learned from some great managers over years of employment. Now I realize how naive and terrible I was back then. Experience is everything when it comes to leadership.

• sportsfan18 - Aug 18, 2014 at 3:51 PM

Well Pro, kids are evolving…

A long time ago they knew at 18 they couldn’t lead.

A while ago they thought they could lead at 18.

Today, kids KNOW they can lead at 18 and we’re wrong when things don’t work out, not them.

• lawrinson20 - Aug 19, 2014 at 4:09 AM

This would imply that college teams don’t have leaders, because those players are ‘too young.’ Same with high school teams. Of course, experience lends maturity, but, doesn’t that process ever really end? Even lebron is stil learning.

What matters is the surrounding cast, the context, and the trust that is given to/earned by MCW.

3. unfortunateminnesotasportsfan - Aug 18, 2014 at 1:38 PM

From what im hearing, albeit from jerry zgoda.. bennett isnt going to philly.. the trade i keep hearing is jj barea, luc mah a moute and the heats protected number 1 pick, and maybe throwing in shabazz.

4. tcstunner - Aug 18, 2014 at 4:08 PM

So the Wolves end up with Young, Wiggins and a 1st round pick. Flip did pretty good.

5. jtbrooksiv - Aug 18, 2014 at 4:29 PM

One would hope (expect) as a starting PG in the NBA, who just received the ROY award, that MCW take on the role as a leader. #sixers

6. mackcarrington - Aug 18, 2014 at 7:51 PM

It took me a while to get to the positive statement about Young. I was at first interpreting it as “As soon as they get rid of this guy, then i can lead”.

7. samsonight1010 - Aug 18, 2014 at 8:03 PM

“If”?

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches