Aug 18, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
By the start of next week, Anthony Bennett will almost certainly be a member of the Philadelphia 76ers. As part of a three-team trade going down this weekend that will land Kevin Love next to LeBron James in Cleveland, Bennett will wind up next to Michael Carter-Williams and Nerlens Noel in Philly.
The few times Andrew Wiggins has been asked about the pending trade he has handled it as well as you could ask a 19-year-old rookie to, saying he just wants to play and he understands the NBA is a business. Would he like to have played next to LeBron? Of course. But life takes its own path sometimes.
Now it was Anthony Bennett’s turn.
He was in Canada working out for a Team Americas tournament and said all the right things when asked about the trade by Gregory Strong of the Toronto Star.
“I’m just a young man that’s ready to work,” he said. “Wherever I end up, it doesn’t really matter to me. I just want to play basketball.”
It’s the only think he can say.
Bennett had a rough rookie season where he played as poorly as any No. 1 pick in history. Make no mistake, it was as ugly as his shot. However he showed up to Summer League in Las Vegas this year in shape and healthy, and with that came a much better performance. He looked like an NBA player, defending and hitting the boards hard. He looked like a rotation big on an NBA team, a guy you could play 15 minutes a night, which is a big step forward for him. In Philly Bennett could get a lot of run and have the chance to show some of that potential — he’s never going to live up to the No. 1 pick hype, but he can stick around in the NBA for a while.
After that up and down rookie year, does Bennett have any advice for Wiggins? The two have talked Bennett, said.
“Pretty much I just told him to work hard,” he said. “Just try not to listen to everybody. You can have one bad game, you can have one real good game. But you know, it’s just a long season full of ups and downs.”
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 22
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 24
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17
- Blake Griffin, Stephen Curry among latest big names headed to Team USA mini-camp 8
- Kyrie Irving off crutches, cleared by doctors to start working out 8