Aug 18, 2014, 11:00 PM EST
By the start of next week, Anthony Bennett will almost certainly be a member of the Philadelphia 76ers. As part of a three-team trade going down this weekend that will land Kevin Love next to LeBron James in Cleveland, Bennett will wind up next to Michael Carter-Williams and Nerlens Noel in Philly.
The few times Andrew Wiggins has been asked about the pending trade he has handled it as well as you could ask a 19-year-old rookie to, saying he just wants to play and he understands the NBA is a business. Would he like to have played next to LeBron? Of course. But life takes its own path sometimes.
Now it was Anthony Bennett’s turn.
He was in Canada working out for a Team Americas tournament and said all the right things when asked about the trade by Gregory Strong of the Toronto Star.
“I’m just a young man that’s ready to work,” he said. “Wherever I end up, it doesn’t really matter to me. I just want to play basketball.”
It’s the only think he can say.
Bennett had a rough rookie season where he played as poorly as any No. 1 pick in history. Make no mistake, it was as ugly as his shot. However he showed up to Summer League in Las Vegas this year in shape and healthy, and with that came a much better performance. He looked like an NBA player, defending and hitting the boards hard. He looked like a rotation big on an NBA team, a guy you could play 15 minutes a night, which is a big step forward for him. In Philly Bennett could get a lot of run and have the chance to show some of that potential — he’s never going to live up to the No. 1 pick hype, but he can stick around in the NBA for a while.
After that up and down rookie year, does Bennett have any advice for Wiggins? The two have talked Bennett, said.
“Pretty much I just told him to work hard,” he said. “Just try not to listen to everybody. You can have one bad game, you can have one real good game. But you know, it’s just a long season full of ups and downs.”
- Report: JaVale McGee close to signing with Celtics 0
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 6
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 11
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18