Aug 18, 2014, 3:13 PM EDT
Derrick Rose played 24 minutes for Team USA on Saturday night against Brazil (and played well), then team USA packed up and went to New York for a series of practices at West Point and some games at Madison Square Garden.
To start that off, Mike Krzyzewski gave Rose Monday off from practice (he was the only of the regular players in street clothes).
However, before everyone in Chicago flips out, know this is precautionary and was planned according to those at the practice, such as Marc Stein of ESPN.
ESPN’s Fran Frascilla said pretty much the exact same thing on the broadcast of the practice. Rose is coming off multiple knee surgeries, even Tom Thibodeau is going to need to rest him this this season at points.
Rose has been impressive so far, showing flashes of his MVP self, and has has moved into the starting lineup for Team USA. This has looked like a great place for him to return. But there’s no reason to push him too hard yet. The USA has a couple friendlies this week and more practices, and things get serious at the end of the month.
This was the smart play by Coach K.
- Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle fined $25K for publicly criticizing officials after Game 3 loss to Rockets 0
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 8
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 13
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 6
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 17
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 6
- Stephen Curry drops 40, leads 20-point comeback as Warriors beat Pelicans in OT, take 3-0 series lead 10