Aug 18, 2014, 3:13 PM EDT
Derrick Rose played 24 minutes for Team USA on Saturday night against Brazil (and played well), then team USA packed up and went to New York for a series of practices at West Point and some games at Madison Square Garden.
To start that off, Mike Krzyzewski gave Rose Monday off from practice (he was the only of the regular players in street clothes).
However, before everyone in Chicago flips out, know this is precautionary and was planned according to those at the practice, such as Marc Stein of ESPN.
ESPN’s Fran Frascilla said pretty much the exact same thing on the broadcast of the practice. Rose is coming off multiple knee surgeries, even Tom Thibodeau is going to need to rest him this this season at points.
Rose has been impressive so far, showing flashes of his MVP self, and has has moved into the starting lineup for Team USA. This has looked like a great place for him to return. But there’s no reason to push him too hard yet. The USA has a couple friendlies this week and more practices, and things get serious at the end of the month.
This was the smart play by Coach K.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 42
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 34
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18