Aug 18, 2014, 3:13 PM EDT
Derrick Rose played 24 minutes for Team USA on Saturday night against Brazil (and played well), then team USA packed up and went to New York for a series of practices at West Point and some games at Madison Square Garden.
To start that off, Mike Krzyzewski gave Rose Monday off from practice (he was the only of the regular players in street clothes).
However, before everyone in Chicago flips out, know this is precautionary and was planned according to those at the practice, such as Marc Stein of ESPN.
ESPN’s Fran Frascilla said pretty much the exact same thing on the broadcast of the practice. Rose is coming off multiple knee surgeries, even Tom Thibodeau is going to need to rest him this this season at points.
Rose has been impressive so far, showing flashes of his MVP self, and has has moved into the starting lineup for Team USA. This has looked like a great place for him to return. But there’s no reason to push him too hard yet. The USA has a couple friendlies this week and more practices, and things get serious at the end of the month.
This was the smart play by Coach K.
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 12
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 9
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 59
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 65
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 23
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 41
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 7
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 8