Actual news out of Steve Ballmer scream fest, er, rally: Clippers staying put, no name change planned
Aug 18, 2014, 7:59 PM EST
Amid all the bluster — oh, and there was blizzard of bluster, with Steve Ballmer acting like a hype man — there were some actual bits of news out of the Ballmer scream fest Monday. Or to be more accurate, some reaffirmation of things we already knew.
Ballmer got up in front of the fans, and later in a press conference with the media and said a few things of note, as reported by Arash Markazi of ESPN and Eric Pincus of the Los Angeles Times.
First things first — for the millionth time he is not moving the Clippers out of Los Angeles to Seattle.
Also, there are no plans to change the Clipper name (which fits in Los Angeles, where there are tall ships and great sailing communities).
As for management style, Ballmer said several times his goal was to let the basketball people — meaning Doc Rivers to start — will make the basketball decisions. His goal is to have good staff and support them in doing their jobs, not to tell them how to do it.
That last part is huge. If you look at the consistently strong organizations in the NBA and pro sports in general that’s how they are run. How often do you see Peter Holt telling Gregg Popovich what to do? Hire good people and let them do what they do.
Along those lines, Ballmer said he would talk extension with Rivers but that was not going to be rushed.
As I have said before, Ballmer may have come off at this rally like a hype man, but the fact is that after the energy drain of Donald Sterling the whirlwind and optimism of Ballmer is going to be a huge boost for the franchise. It’s a good day to be a Clippers fan.
- PBT’s Wednesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You will not question if Memphis is legit again 0
- Grizzlies top Spurs in triple overtime. Best game of the season. So far. 1
- Report: Mavericks and Celtics in ‘substantive discussion’ about Rajon Rondo trade 10
- Report: Celtics now more willing to trade Rajon Rondo 12
- Tyson Chandler says he feels sorry for Carmelo Anthony 19
- Kevin Durant on idea stars wouldn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘That’s bulls—‘ 47
- Former Warriors coach Mark Jackson meets with Kings GM, DeMarcus Cousins after Tuesday night’s game 25
- PBT’s Tuesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: Grizzlies grind ends Warriors streak 12