Aug 17, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Soon — maybe by the end of this season, certainly within two years — Anthony Davis is going to be the third best player in the NBA. (Coach Mike Dunleavy Sr. said on SiriusXM NBA radio last week he thinks he might be right now.)
He will play the four for the Pelicans this year, but this video shows you why you want him as the five in International ball. He’s guarding his man in the paint, slides over to make the defensive play but when Alex Garcia loses the ball Davis grabs it, dribbles the ball up out of traffic, passes to Klay Thompson, then Davis just outruns everyone down the court for the alley-oop.
Exactly what international team is going to match that?
“We think he’s one of the top players in the league and we need for him to be that five that nobody has,” Team coach Mike Krzyzewski said to PBT in Las Vegas. “Everyone talks about things we don’t have, well they don’t have him.”
Davis finished with 20 points (on 15 shots), 8 rebounds and 5 blocks on the night. The Chicago native was pretty much Team USA’s best player at the United Center.
The World Cup tournament could well be a breakout for him.
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 6
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 2
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10