Aug 17, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
Cousins said pretty quickly that he would be fine, and an MRI confirmed that there was no structural damage.
He felt immediate improvement in the knee the very next day, and things seem to be progressing to the point where he’s already declaring that he;ll be ready to go in time for USA Basketball’s next exhibition game, which will take place in New York next week.
According to a source, who spoke to News10 on the condition of anonymity since they were not allowed to speak publicly, Cousins is expecting to play on Wednesday in New York in a friendly against the Dominican Republic.
If he can return that quickly, then this is good news for Cousins and his chances of making the final 12-man roster — although nothing is guaranteed.
Mike Krzyzewski opted to go with smaller lineups in the exhibition against Brazil, starting Kenneth Faried alongside Derrick Rose, James Harden, Stephen Curry and Anthony Davis, while choosing to let Andre Drummond, Gordon Hayward and DeMar DeRozan all sit at the end of the bench without playing at all.
The speed and athleticism destroyed Brazil in stretches, and they have above average big men in Nene and Anderson Varejao who theoretically could have warranted playing more of the team’s bigs.
Marc Spears of Yahoo Sports reports that Jerry Colangelo may choose to bring 13 players to Spain, and make the final roster cut the day prior to the start of the FIBA World Cup on August 30. That would seem like an unnecessarily cruel way to conduct business, but if that’s how things end up playing out, it’s better for Cousins to return as soon as possible to try to build his case.
- Thursday night NBA Winners/Losers: The injury gods show Thunder no mercy 0
- No Durant, Westbrook goes down, Thunder still make it interesting but fall to Clippers 0
- Thunder’s Russell Westbrook fractures hand, out indefinitely 4
- LeBron struggles in Cleveland debut as Knicks stun Cavaliers 35
- LeBron, Cavaliers introduced on opening night in Cleveland (VIDEO) 4
- Dominant Pau Gasol shows he may be a perfect fit for Bulls 19
- Old tweets: Kevin Durant uses gay slurs (including at Russell Westbrook), Damian Lillard rips LeBron James 29
- Wednesday night’s NBA winners, losers: Chris Bosh wants you to know he is a No. 1 option 25