Aug 17, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
Cousins said pretty quickly that he would be fine, and an MRI confirmed that there was no structural damage.
He felt immediate improvement in the knee the very next day, and things seem to be progressing to the point where he’s already declaring that he;ll be ready to go in time for USA Basketball’s next exhibition game, which will take place in New York next week.
According to a source, who spoke to News10 on the condition of anonymity since they were not allowed to speak publicly, Cousins is expecting to play on Wednesday in New York in a friendly against the Dominican Republic.
If he can return that quickly, then this is good news for Cousins and his chances of making the final 12-man roster — although nothing is guaranteed.
Mike Krzyzewski opted to go with smaller lineups in the exhibition against Brazil, starting Kenneth Faried alongside Derrick Rose, James Harden, Stephen Curry and Anthony Davis, while choosing to let Andre Drummond, Gordon Hayward and DeMar DeRozan all sit at the end of the bench without playing at all.
The speed and athleticism destroyed Brazil in stretches, and they have above average big men in Nene and Anderson Varejao who theoretically could have warranted playing more of the team’s bigs.
Marc Spears of Yahoo Sports reports that Jerry Colangelo may choose to bring 13 players to Spain, and make the final roster cut the day prior to the start of the FIBA World Cup on August 30. That would seem like an unnecessarily cruel way to conduct business, but if that’s how things end up playing out, it’s better for Cousins to return as soon as possible to try to build his case.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 13
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50