Aug 17, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
As the Cavaliers look to fill out the roster and surround LeBron James with enough veteran talent to make a legitimate run at a title in the upcoming season, Ray Allen‘s name continues to be mentioned — even though we have no idea whether or not he’s decided on returning to play next season.
Twice now there have been reports that Allen had made up his mind to come back, only to have his representation refute those reports each time.
Nothing has changed there, at least on the surface. But the latest report has Cleveland feeling good about its chances of luring Allen to once again team up with James in a championship-contending situation.
The Cavs are also optimistic about their chances of signing free agent guard Ray Allen prior to the start of training camp, a source said.
This may be one of those situations where Allen waits as long as possible before committing, just to ensure that he’s truly all in on coming back to play in what would be his 19th NBA season.
It’s worth noting that despite this report, it’s far from certain that he’ll choose to do so — especially when considering just how content he seemed so recently with the idea that he had already played his last game.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 3
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 7
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4