Aug 17, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
As the Cavaliers look to fill out the roster and surround LeBron James with enough veteran talent to make a legitimate run at a title in the upcoming season, Ray Allen‘s name continues to be mentioned — even though we have no idea whether or not he’s decided on returning to play next season.
Twice now there have been reports that Allen had made up his mind to come back, only to have his representation refute those reports each time.
Nothing has changed there, at least on the surface. But the latest report has Cleveland feeling good about its chances of luring Allen to once again team up with James in a championship-contending situation.
The Cavs are also optimistic about their chances of signing free agent guard Ray Allen prior to the start of training camp, a source said.
This may be one of those situations where Allen waits as long as possible before committing, just to ensure that he’s truly all in on coming back to play in what would be his 19th NBA season.
It’s worth noting that despite this report, it’s far from certain that he’ll choose to do so — especially when considering just how content he seemed so recently with the idea that he had already played his last game.
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 83
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2
- Dwyane Wade on MVP race: “I would say James Harden” 27
- Report: Rockets’ Patrick Beverley has torn ligament in wrist, to decide course in 7-10 days 2
- Derrick Rose expects to be cleared for contact soon, says he feels no pain in right knee 9
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: Warriors win Pacific Division, may win much more 20