Aug 17, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
As the Cavaliers look to fill out the roster and surround LeBron James with enough veteran talent to make a legitimate run at a title in the upcoming season, Ray Allen‘s name continues to be mentioned — even though we have no idea whether or not he’s decided on returning to play next season.
Twice now there have been reports that Allen had made up his mind to come back, only to have his representation refute those reports each time.
Nothing has changed there, at least on the surface. But the latest report has Cleveland feeling good about its chances of luring Allen to once again team up with James in a championship-contending situation.
The Cavs are also optimistic about their chances of signing free agent guard Ray Allen prior to the start of training camp, a source said.
This may be one of those situations where Allen waits as long as possible before committing, just to ensure that he’s truly all in on coming back to play in what would be his 19th NBA season.
It’s worth noting that despite this report, it’s far from certain that he’ll choose to do so — especially when considering just how content he seemed so recently with the idea that he had already played his last game.
- Report: Spurs reach deal to trade Tiago Splitter to Hawks, create cap space for LaMarcus Aldridge offer 17
- Report: Heat, Goran Dragic agree to five-year deal worth $90 million 37
- Report: Paul Millsap had midnight meeting with Orlando, will decide between Magic and Hawks 13
- Report: Kawhi Leonard, Spurs reach deal for five-year, $90 million contract extension 19
- Anthony Davis and Pelicans agree to five-year, $145 million contract extension 36
- Report: Kevin Love to meet with Lakers later in week 16
- Report: Lakers working to clear out more cap space to land both LaMarcus Aldridge, DeAndre Jordan 33