Aug 16, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
As we move into late August most of the NBA player moves are set, save for the formality of Kevin Love ending up with the Cleveland Cavaliers.
But there are two big restricted free agents out there — Greg Monroe and Eric Bledsoe. Both have yet to strike a deal with their teams or to find another team that will make a big offer (other teams held off largely because they believed the Pistons and Suns would just match the offer). Both are threatening to play for the qualifying offer and become unrestricted free agents next summer, but that is a big risk.
Meanwhile some other restricted free agents this summer — Gordon Hayward leads the list — got big offers and to max out the deal.
So who could be the guys next summer who are restricted free agents? Already Kyrie Irving is off the list because he got a max extension from the Cavaliers. Here are five guys to watch.
• Klay Thompson, Golden State Warriors: The brain trust for the Warriors refused to put him in a deal for Kevin Love, so now the pressure is on him to step up his already impressive game and perform. Oh, and the Warriors have to sign him. There’s almost zero chance the Warriors don’t keep him one way or another. He’s going to make eight figures a year, the question is if the deal gets done or if he goes to restricted free agency. If he does, he could end up in a Bledsoe/Monroe situation where he has a hard time getting offers from other teams because everyone thinks the Warriors will just match.
• Kawhi Leonard, San Antonio Spurs: We laid out the case why the Spurs may want to wait on making a max offer to Leonard, but they will at one point to the Finals MVP and (like Thompson) there is almost zero chance his team lets him go. That said, if he gets all the way to restricted free agency you can bet a bunch of teams will come calling.
• Kenneth Faried, Denver Nuggets: Denver likes Faried and the energy he brings, but they fear the healthy contract he will get on the open market will be more than they want to pay, so they have shopped him around a little. If he isn’t moved, Fraried’s camp is going to want more than Denver wants to pay and his agent is going to have to draw the offer he wants (max or near it) from another team and force Denver to match. He could be the most interesting guy likely to get to restricted free agency next summer.
• Ricky Rubio, Minnesota Timberwolves: Former Wolves GM David Kahn helped screw up the franchise’s relationship with Kevin Love by refusing to give Love a full five-year max contract extension because you can only have one of those going at a time and Kahn wanted to save it for Rubio. Well done. Rubio’s camp is rumored to want a max deal and Rubio has been a pretty good NBA point guard — he can defend, he’s a gifted passer and has done well at running a team. But his shot keeps him from being a max guy. If no deal on an extension is reached how well Rubio plays next season on a team with young talent around him will determine what the market will offer next summer. But if he wants max he’s going to be disappointed.
• Tobias Harris, Orlando Magic: He has shown some real promise and he will have some suitors next summer if Orlando lets him get all the way to restricted free agency (and the way they are rebuilding I would think they do). If Harris has another strong season you can bet a number of teams will see him as a guy they can poach, a quality forward they can get for years to come. In that situation, the Magic may have to open up the wallet and pay a little.
Oct 24, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
76ers forwent any guaranteed salary to hit free agency sooner
Oct 24, 2014, 8:20 PM EDT
Bucks point guard Nate Wolters makes heads-up play
Oct 24, 2014, 7:31 PM EDT
Can’t say I ever pictured that.
Oct 24, 2014, 6:40 PM EDT
This is a minor trade, even in Sam Hinkie’s world.
Oct 24, 2014, 5:31 PM EDT
Clippers owner affirms reputation
Byron Scott says Lakers may need to trade for point guard. For now, Ronnie Price starts, Jeremy Lin off bench.
Oct 24, 2014, 4:41 PM EDT
Expect the Lakers to try and trade for a point guard… no, not Rajon Rondo.
Oct 24, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT
Nash was everything we want as a fan in an NBA player.
Report: Tobias Harris won’t sign contract extension, would get Nike bonus by playing in New York, Chicago or Los Angeles
Oct 24, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT
Could forward leave the Magic in 2016?
Oct 24, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
The NBA is full of talent, personality and suspense. During the offseason, It’s easy to forget how wonderful the league can be. So, I’ve assembled 67 Reasons I’m Excited For Next Season (67RIEFNS). They’ll be presented in no particular order. JaVale McGee played just five games last year after injuring his leg. How did we…
Oct 24, 2014, 2:18 PM EDT
Varejao the better choice, but Cleveland should be careful here
Oct 24, 2014, 1:44 PM EDT
Phil Jackson says the triangle is not rocket science.
Oct 24, 2014, 1:07 PM EDT
Pacers center filling huge role after last season’s great start, big collapse
Oct 24, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT
Childress, who played for Pelicans last season, now playing (dirty) in Australia
Oct 24, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT
Are Heat stars too old to succeed without LeBron James?
Oct 24, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT
Paul Pierce, Otto Porter or Martell Webster – all intriguing for different reasons – could become Washington’s starting small forward
Oct 24, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
Magic guard to have surgery Saturday
Oct 24, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
All hail the Brow.
Oct 24, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
Van Gundy downplayed the offense’s impact on a team’s success, and Jackson co-signs.
Oct 24, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Four teams and the obvious choice of Cleveland.
Lance Stephenson says Pacers setting deadline to re-sign forced him to look elsewhere in free agency
Oct 24, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT
It’s possible Indiana did this on purpose.
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 23
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 9
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 69
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 71
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 8
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30