NBA Commissioner Adam Silver takes Ice Bucket Challenge (VIDEO)

Aug 16, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT

Adam Silver Adam Silver

The ice bucket challenge is a gimmick meant to raise awareness of ALS and generate donations to help fight the disease, and to say that it’s been a wild success would be a fairly massive understatement.

It’s swept through social media at an extremely rapid rate, with athletes of all sports and celebrities of all kinds participating.

The NBA is no exception. Individual players have taken the plunge, as did the bulk of the USA Basketball squad. So, it seemed increasingly evident that it would only be a matter of time before we saw a video emerge from the commissioner himself.

1. phaden27 - Aug 16, 2014 at 10:15 PM

Successful at getting people to pour freezing cold water on themselves.
    To actually donate? No, no it hasn’t. Slacktivism at it’s finest.

• ddarqwon - Aug 16, 2014 at 10:37 PM

It has been wildly successful at getting people to donate. Over $11 million so far in fact, compared to less than $2 million during the same time last year.

Don’t hate, donate!

• phaden27 - Aug 19, 2014 at 10:53 PM

If you could read you would have seen that I have. Before the nonsense started.

• phaden27 - Aug 16, 2014 at 11:00 PM

All you down voters can chisel the ice of my heart for your challenges. Morons.

• sportsfan18 - Aug 17, 2014 at 6:35 PM

you mean from your brain, not your heart

• phaden27 - Aug 17, 2014 at 7:47 PM

Sure? That just means I’m cold blooded baby.
        Try again next time.

• 1friendofthepeople - Aug 16, 2014 at 11:57 PM

How does life look from up on you high horse?

Having a disease without a cure is depressing and overwhelming and will take more out of you than you can imagine. A person not looking to support ALS research until now doesn’t matter because regardless this gives a tiny bit more hope to people suffering from ALS.

Donations have gone through the roof! I don’t understand why you want to criticize people for getting on the bandwagon, when it only adds to support people suffering from ALS without taking anything away.

• phaden27 - Aug 17, 2014 at 12:05 AM

Oh please my horse isn’t that high. I’m clearly riding a pony.

Yes, the hope that they can watch more idiots pour ice water on their heads rather than reach into their pocket books. Good show.

Let me be clear, the cause is good, the donations are good. I’ve even donated myself. I find it shameful that people need to pour buckets of ice water on their heads, many of whom will not reach into their wallets, rather than give of their own accord, or because they actually care. It’s a fad, and like all fads it will wear out. Like gluten-free bread and the Harlem shake.

• 1friendofthepeople - Aug 17, 2014 at 12:38 AM

2 things

Its so that it goes viral and reaches more people raises more funds for research and to show people suffering from ALS support.

Pouring ice over ones head and making a donation aren’t mutually exclusive. Do you think it is either one or the other?

• phaden27 - Aug 17, 2014 at 12:50 AM

So is there going to be an ice dumping challenge for Crohns? Lupus? or TB?

You missed my point, but made it for me at the same time. There’s an outbreak of generosity now, but wait a while. The numbers will eventually drop back to where they were when the fad is over, and then someone will have to come up with a new fad to get more money.

To answer your question no. That’s why I sent the money and didn’t broadcast it over social media.

• 1friendofthepeople - Aug 17, 2014 at 1:47 AM

I’m not interested in the people’s motives. I couldn’t care less.

You don’t really know what a strangers intentions are for donating so guessing is a fool’s game. Its one act of generosity, which is important in its own right, it doesn’t change somebody into a good person.

People think about themselves first and foremost and are selfish by nature. People are going to do whatever they want to do, believe whatever they want to believe. A person can donate or pour a bucket over their head and not really care all that much about ALS, or they could care tremendously. It’s unimportant to try and guess a person’s intentions. Really the only thing that matters is the people that need the help get the help they need.

I only care about the bottom line and this becoming viral reaches more people and earns more donations.

• 1friendofthepeople - Aug 17, 2014 at 2:12 AM

You mentioned you donated. Is that something you would have gone out of your way to do if ALS weren’t brought to you attention?

I don’t know. It doesn’t matter either. I do know donating and supporting ALS does not restrict you from donating or in some other way supporting the people suffering from Lupus or TB or Crohns.

Many people, my self included and perhaps even you wouldn’t have donated to a variety of charitys if the causes of those charitys weren’t brought to our attention.

• phaden27 - Aug 17, 2014 at 2:20 AM

I pick three every year. This year was ALS, Crohns, and pancreatic cancer because it is what I can afford to do.
        Your point is fair, if it gets people to donate fine. I won’t argue that point. I’m not having a pissing match that I donate every year because I care not because I needed the attention that comes with these garbage challenges. I just wish more people donated because they cared, or because they knew someone who was suffering from all of these things. If they did there wouldn’t be any need for donations any longer. Instead we have to report to luring people in with this nonsense which only last a few months.

When the fad ends, so too does the money and those who gave a damn every year or month or day are revealed.

• phaden27 - Aug 17, 2014 at 2:38 AM

I’ve got not reason to continue arguing opinion with you. If arguing with me helps justify the nones we going viral congratulations you’ve reached your goal, but don’t insult me by arguing against my opinion. Otherwise we’ll be here for the next few days in a heated and eventually boring conflict.

• hollywood26 - Aug 18, 2014 at 8:59 AM

You might want to look at the stats before commenting. Over 12.5 MILLION since this challenge started. Not everyone is because of the challenge but considering it’s a 67% increase in normal ratings I think you can say it worked.

• phaden27 - Aug 18, 2014 at 4:20 PM

You might want to read what I wrote before commenting, you know, all of it. Before bumbling in like a moron.

2. mtheparrothead - Aug 16, 2014 at 10:18 PM

So the challenge is to dump ice water, or donate. I’ve yet to see one person not dump the water. So ALS gets no $$. Please advise me how this helps anyone other than Facebook narcissists again?

• basketballbro - Aug 16, 2014 at 10:22 PM

A lot of people donate as well as dumping the ice. Remember, if you choose to donate and not dump the ice, you stop spreading it, which then leads to less awareness. Take CP3 for example: He chose to dump water as well as donate $10k

• agold831 - Aug 16, 2014 at 11:01 PM

Yeah, it’s done absolutely nothing for ALS. Oh wait… there’s almost 172 times more donations from this time last year… but you can keep talking without any knowledge or research done on the matter. Also, a lot of people who do take the challenge also donate. http://time.com/3101166/als-ice-bucket-challenge-fundraising/

3. 1friendofthepeople - Aug 16, 2014 at 11:26 PM

Lol. Smart challenge made by team USA! I’m sure he made a donation as well, if to only avoid criticism.

Now only Oprah and President Obama need to respond. Please God let this happen.

• agold831 - Aug 16, 2014 at 11:44 PM

She did do it! http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity-life/oprah-winfrey-accepts-ice-bucket-challenge-best-friend-gayle-king-does-the-honours/story-fn907478-1227026516249

• iritian - Aug 17, 2014 at 12:19 AM

She already did.

4. nfl4days - Aug 16, 2014 at 11:53 PM

“I’d like to challenge Donald Sterling, Steve Ballmer, and Magic Johnson.”

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches