Aug 15, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
In the case of George at the three, the obvious answer was always James Harden and that seems to be where Coach Mike Krzyzewski is headed. (Yes, Harden at the three, Team USA is playing small as it did winning its last couple gold medals.)
At the four… still trying to figure that part out according to Marc Spears of Yahoo Sports.
Three guys on that list are not a shock. From the first day of camp Coach K had raved about Anthony Davis as the center for the type of ball they wanted to play, and Stephen Curry has always been at the two in the top units (it makes sense in international ball where shooting is a premium). Early on Kyrie Irving was getting the start at the one but Derrick Rose’s play pushed him here, plus now with Durant out they need scoring and Rose brings that.
As for the final starting spot, and looking at the guys on the roster, there are only three clear options to me: Rudy Gay, Gordon Hayward and Chandler Parsons. None of those thrill me, but with Davis at the five and an up-tempo offense those are the fits (then you can bring in DeMarcus Cousins with the second unit and change tempo if you want).
Of that group, I’d probably start Parsons, his versatility is the best fit in my mind. But Coach K doesn’t have to make that decision yet — that’s what exhibitions like Saturday against Brazil are for. Roll out a lot of different combinations and see what clicks. The USA has a couple weeks of practices and a few exhibition games to figure things out before settling on a starting five.
By the way, that Rose is starting is a sign of how well he’s playing. Smile Chicago fans.
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 11
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 37
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 49
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 17
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 9
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11