Aug 15, 2014, 1:05 PM EDT
Sim Bhullar is huge.
The 7’5”, 360-pound center who played his college ball for New Mexico State was part of the Kings’ Summer League team and even around other NBA players he looked huge. He dwarfed DeMarcus Cousins. In a timeout huddle he was literally a head taller than every other guy there.
He also has a long, long way to go in terms of conditioning and fundamentals to be considered a real NBA prospect, but he’s got an invite to the Kings training camp this fall, the team announced.
Bhullar was born in Toronto becomes the first player of Indian heritage to sign an NBA contract.
“I’ve long believed that India is the next great frontier for the NBA, and adding a talented player like Sim only underscores the exponential growth basketball has experienced in that nation,” said Kings Owner Vivek Ranadivé (also of Indian heritage) in a released statement. “While Sim is the first player of Indian descent to sign with an NBA franchise, he represents one of many that will emerge from that region as the game continues to garner more attention and generate ever-increasing passion among a new generation of Indian fans.”
Bhullar is a project. Expect him to spend next season with the Kings’ D-League affiliate in Reno as they work to hone his game. After watching him for a couple games in Las Vegas I’m not sure he will ever be an NBA player. But he’s not a bad project to take on.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 3
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48