Aug 15, 2014, 1:05 PM EST
Sim Bhullar is huge.
The 7’5”, 360-pound center who played his college ball for New Mexico State was part of the Kings’ Summer League team and even around other NBA players he looked huge. He dwarfed DeMarcus Cousins. In a timeout huddle he was literally a head taller than every other guy there.
He also has a long, long way to go in terms of conditioning and fundamentals to be considered a real NBA prospect, but he’s got an invite to the Kings training camp this fall, the team announced.
Bhullar was born in Toronto becomes the first player of Indian heritage to sign an NBA contract.
“I’ve long believed that India is the next great frontier for the NBA, and adding a talented player like Sim only underscores the exponential growth basketball has experienced in that nation,” said Kings Owner Vivek Ranadivé (also of Indian heritage) in a released statement. “While Sim is the first player of Indian descent to sign with an NBA franchise, he represents one of many that will emerge from that region as the game continues to garner more attention and generate ever-increasing passion among a new generation of Indian fans.”
Bhullar is a project. Expect him to spend next season with the Kings’ D-League affiliate in Reno as they work to hone his game. After watching him for a couple games in Las Vegas I’m not sure he will ever be an NBA player. But he’s not a bad project to take on.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Is this rock bottom for Oklahoma City? 0
- He’s on Fire! Kyrie Irving scores 55, knocks down game winning three (VIDEO) 33
- LeBron James out Wednesday vs. Blazers with wrist injury 5
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 17
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 15
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 25
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 8
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 11