Aug 15, 2014, 3:58 PM EDT
In Chicago for the second round of Team USA training camp, coach Mike Krzyzewski admitted he didn’t see Kevin Durant leaving the team coming. Durant officially cited mental and physical exhaustion, whether you believe that or think there was another reason is kind of moot to Coach K. He has to deal with the aftermath.
The USA offense was going to be focused around Durant, so now what?
“We had a whole camp building what we’re doing around him,” Krzyzewski said. “So that’s the very first thing: You had one of the great scorers at the [power forward position]. So how does that change your offense? That changes your offense immensely.
“You have to do more to get your guards shots. I mean, these guards are really good, but they were complementing one another – Kevin with those guards. … Now we have to look at developing our inside and getting the guards more involved.”
The USA’s game starts with an aggressive pressure defense trying to force turnovers then get out in transition — the USA has the best, deepest pool of athletes playing hoop in the world, use that to your advantage.
But in the half court the scoring will be a little harder to come by. The USA has shooters — Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson, Kyrie Irving is one of the league’s best shooters off the bounce and Kyle Korver one of the best at the catch-and-shoot — but it’s going to take some execution to get everyone open looks. The ball still needs to work inside out, whether that starts with Derrick Rose driving the lane or hitting Anthony Davis in the post.
Even without Durant the USA is as talented as anyone at the FIBA World Cup. They are still gold medal contenders.
But you don’t replace someone like Kevin Durant.
- Rockets show it’s better to have James Harden than to not have Stephen Curry 0
- Stephen Curry leaves game after taking a hard fall, cleared to return (VIDEO) 6
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 15
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 7
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 29
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 31
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 9