Aug 15, 2014, 3:58 PM EST
In Chicago for the second round of Team USA training camp, coach Mike Krzyzewski admitted he didn’t see Kevin Durant leaving the team coming. Durant officially cited mental and physical exhaustion, whether you believe that or think there was another reason is kind of moot to Coach K. He has to deal with the aftermath.
The USA offense was going to be focused around Durant, so now what?
“We had a whole camp building what we’re doing around him,” Krzyzewski said. “So that’s the very first thing: You had one of the great scorers at the [power forward position]. So how does that change your offense? That changes your offense immensely.
“You have to do more to get your guards shots. I mean, these guards are really good, but they were complementing one another – Kevin with those guards. … Now we have to look at developing our inside and getting the guards more involved.”
The USA’s game starts with an aggressive pressure defense trying to force turnovers then get out in transition — the USA has the best, deepest pool of athletes playing hoop in the world, use that to your advantage.
But in the half court the scoring will be a little harder to come by. The USA has shooters — Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson, Kyrie Irving is one of the league’s best shooters off the bounce and Kyle Korver one of the best at the catch-and-shoot — but it’s going to take some execution to get everyone open looks. The ball still needs to work inside out, whether that starts with Derrick Rose driving the lane or hitting Anthony Davis in the post.
Even without Durant the USA is as talented as anyone at the FIBA World Cup. They are still gold medal contenders.
But you don’t replace someone like Kevin Durant.
- Did win over Lakers break Rockets out of their defensive slump? 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Thunder don’t look like playoff team yet 10
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 9
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 33
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 10
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 46