Aug 15, 2014, 10:45 PM EDT
The conventional wisdom with the Team USA front line for the FIBA World Cup in Spain goes like this: Anthony Davis is the starter and the guy that Coach Mike Krzyzewski will lean heavily on, but you need at least one and maybe two more bigs to be ready for Spain down the line (with Pau Gasol, Marc Gasol and Serge Ibaka). DeMarcus Cousins is just too talented a big man to leave off the roster and his size will be needed. That leaves room for likely one more traditional big man on the roster — Andre Drummond or Mason Plumlee. Although Kenneth Faried is working hard to inject himself in the conversation.
With Cousins out vs. Brazil in Saturday night’s Team USA “friendly” in Chicago, Drummond and Plumlee will both get the chance to make their case against a big front line of Nene, Tiago Splitter and Anderson Varejao. This could go a long way toward making the case for Drummond to make the Final 12 going to Spain.
“I don’t plan on going home,” he said of his ultimate fate with roster decisions looming. “I feel like I’ve done a pretty good job here these past couple of weeks really proving I could be a part of this team. We have a lot of great players out here. I’m not going to back down. I know what’s at stake. I want to win a gold medal.”
Syracuse coach and Team USA assistant Jim Boeheim gave Drummond a good grade so far.
“I’m impressed,” he said. “He’s getting better and better. Big guys take time. Young big guys always take time and especially when they come out of college early. He’s physical. He gives you a physical presence out there that not many people can bring to the table. And he’s a good kid who works hard. He’s been fun to work with.”
I will say I noticed this in Las Vegas when I was there for USA Camp — when you asked Coach K about the bigs Drummond was always the first name out of his mouth. He would praise Cousins, he said Plumlee’s play was a pleasant surprise (which is saying something since Plumlee was at Duke for four years), but Drummond always was the first guy mentioned. Take that for what it’s worth.
We may have a better idea after Saturday night what the front line rotation is going to look like. This is a big night for Drummond.
- Bugs Bunny teases the Jordan XXX in interview with Ahmad Rashad (VIDEO) 1
- Report: LeBron James calls the plays, Cavaliers coach David Blatt repeats them to team 48
- Kevin Durant says he’d ‘love to’ stay with Thunder his entire career, wants his jersey retired in OKC 12
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 20
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 7
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13