Aug 14, 2014, 7:59 PM EDT
Paul George is still on the minds of USA Basketball players… how could he not be?
Being in practice all week in Las Vegas, playing hard against him then seeing him go down with a fluke, freak injury that shattered two bones in his leg and ended not only his Team USA summer but also his next season.
Team USA is back at practice this week in Chicago and at its scrimmage Saturday against Brazil (and I’m sure the rest of the USA scrimmages coming up) the team is going to wear a little a little tribute to George, reports Marc Spears of Yahoo Sports.
Classy touch by USA Basketball.
As for FIBA… did you expect them to let sentimentality and human feeling clutter up the marketing message they are trying to send? This is the same body that gave a World Cup “wild card” slot to Finland, the world’s 39th ranked team, instead of China, Russia (2012 Olympic bronze medalists) and Germany (among others). Why? Because their fans travel well and had the backing of Rovio (the makers of Angry Birds) — basically, they were going to make FIBA money at the venue. It’s basically how lower college bowl bids get made.
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 23
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 20
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 17
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 13