Aug 14, 2014, 7:59 PM EDT
Paul George is still on the minds of USA Basketball players… how could he not be?
Being in practice all week in Las Vegas, playing hard against him then seeing him go down with a fluke, freak injury that shattered two bones in his leg and ended not only his Team USA summer but also his next season.
Team USA is back at practice this week in Chicago and at its scrimmage Saturday against Brazil (and I’m sure the rest of the USA scrimmages coming up) the team is going to wear a little a little tribute to George, reports Marc Spears of Yahoo Sports.
Classy touch by USA Basketball.
As for FIBA… did you expect them to let sentimentality and human feeling clutter up the marketing message they are trying to send? This is the same body that gave a World Cup “wild card” slot to Finland, the world’s 39th ranked team, instead of China, Russia (2012 Olympic bronze medalists) and Germany (among others). Why? Because their fans travel well and had the backing of Rovio (the makers of Angry Birds) — basically, they were going to make FIBA money at the venue. It’s basically how lower college bowl bids get made.
- Hawks’ Mike Budenholzer named 2014-15 NBA Coach of the Year 8
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 12
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 6
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 14
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 6
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 40
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 2
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1