Aug 14, 2014, 7:59 PM EDT
Paul George is still on the minds of USA Basketball players… how could he not be?
Being in practice all week in Las Vegas, playing hard against him then seeing him go down with a fluke, freak injury that shattered two bones in his leg and ended not only his Team USA summer but also his next season.
Team USA is back at practice this week in Chicago and at its scrimmage Saturday against Brazil (and I’m sure the rest of the USA scrimmages coming up) the team is going to wear a little a little tribute to George, reports Marc Spears of Yahoo Sports.
Classy touch by USA Basketball.
As for FIBA… did you expect them to let sentimentality and human feeling clutter up the marketing message they are trying to send? This is the same body that gave a World Cup “wild card” slot to Finland, the world’s 39th ranked team, instead of China, Russia (2012 Olympic bronze medalists) and Germany (among others). Why? Because their fans travel well and had the backing of Rovio (the makers of Angry Birds) — basically, they were going to make FIBA money at the venue. It’s basically how lower college bowl bids get made.
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 8
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 5
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 11
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 22
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4