Aug 14, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Carmelo Anthony looks thinner. It’s a little hard to tell how much or even really if ‘Melo has lost much weight this summer from one Instagram photo, but the first blush looking at that image he looks thinner.
He has gotten skinny and there’s a reason for that, a reported confidant of Anthony told the New York Post.
“He wants to be as athletic as he was when he was a rookie,’’ the confidant told The Post. “Plus he wants to be a facilitator in the triangle and speed will help that.’’
Carmelo Anthony the point forward?
Anthony has thrived playing the four the past couple years, because his shooting range and ability to drive made him a difficult one-on-one matchup. The triangle can certainly use some of that but it really is an offense that is both about spacing and taking what the defense gives you (it’s a read offense rather than set plays). Big men who can handle the ball from Scottie Pippen through Lamar Odom have played beautifully in the offense. Anthony is going to get touches both on the wing and at the elbow.
If he’s serious about facilitating — if the ball doesn’t stick when it touches his hands — he can be great in this offense. But that’s not always been his calling card.
Anthony and the Knicks deserve some time to figure this out. The triangle offense takes a little while to learn, and a roster that is likely to see more upheaval is not going to make that process easier.
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 40
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 60
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 19
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 39
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 7
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 8
- Reports: Bulls getting closer to firing Tom Thibodeau 30
- PBT Extra: Despite ending, Hawks had season worth celebrating 3