Aug 14, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Carmelo Anthony looks thinner. It’s a little hard to tell how much or even really if ‘Melo has lost much weight this summer from one Instagram photo, but the first blush looking at that image he looks thinner.
He has gotten skinny and there’s a reason for that, a reported confidant of Anthony told the New York Post.
“He wants to be as athletic as he was when he was a rookie,’’ the confidant told The Post. “Plus he wants to be a facilitator in the triangle and speed will help that.’’
Carmelo Anthony the point forward?
Anthony has thrived playing the four the past couple years, because his shooting range and ability to drive made him a difficult one-on-one matchup. The triangle can certainly use some of that but it really is an offense that is both about spacing and taking what the defense gives you (it’s a read offense rather than set plays). Big men who can handle the ball from Scottie Pippen through Lamar Odom have played beautifully in the offense. Anthony is going to get touches both on the wing and at the elbow.
If he’s serious about facilitating — if the ball doesn’t stick when it touches his hands — he can be great in this offense. But that’s not always been his calling card.
Anthony and the Knicks deserve some time to figure this out. The triangle offense takes a little while to learn, and a roster that is likely to see more upheaval is not going to make that process easier.
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 0
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 7
- Dwyane Wade agrees to one-year, $20 million deal to stay with Heat 53
- PBT Podcast: Talking best signings of free agency so far 0
- Report: Pacers agree to four-year, $44 million contract with Monta Ellis 22
- Report: Greg Monroe signing a maximum contract with Bucks 56
- Lakers, Knicks struggle on hectic first day of free agency 64
- Trail Blazers assistant coach: ‘We didn’t publicize it, but we lost LaMarcus Aldridge’ 9