Aug 14, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Carmelo Anthony looks thinner. It’s a little hard to tell how much or even really if ‘Melo has lost much weight this summer from one Instagram photo, but the first blush looking at that image he looks thinner.
He has gotten skinny and there’s a reason for that, a reported confidant of Anthony told the New York Post.
“He wants to be as athletic as he was when he was a rookie,’’ the confidant told The Post. “Plus he wants to be a facilitator in the triangle and speed will help that.’’
Carmelo Anthony the point forward?
Anthony has thrived playing the four the past couple years, because his shooting range and ability to drive made him a difficult one-on-one matchup. The triangle can certainly use some of that but it really is an offense that is both about spacing and taking what the defense gives you (it’s a read offense rather than set plays). Big men who can handle the ball from Scottie Pippen through Lamar Odom have played beautifully in the offense. Anthony is going to get touches both on the wing and at the elbow.
If he’s serious about facilitating — if the ball doesn’t stick when it touches his hands — he can be great in this offense. But that’s not always been his calling card.
Anthony and the Knicks deserve some time to figure this out. The triangle offense takes a little while to learn, and a roster that is likely to see more upheaval is not going to make that process easier.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 3
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 7
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4