Derrick Rose wants to collaborate with Kanye West on his sneakers. That should be interesting.

Aug 14, 2014, 3:13 PM EST

Kanye West Kanye West

No one man should have all that power… so Derrick Rose wants to collaborate.

With Kanye West. A fellow Chicagoan.

Kanye jumped ship from Nike to adidas last December. Derrick Rose just launched his latest signature adidas shoe, the D Rose 5s (with boost technology) and, when he’s not working out with Team USA, he’s promoting those shoes around the globe. As part of that Rose spoke to The Shoe Game and when they asked him about Kanye joining adidas, Rose was pumped. (Hat tip SLAM)

“It was great hearing that they signed him because him, everything he’s doing, him being an icon, his music, him loving fashion and signing with adidas is just huge step for us, man.

“I hope I have time to colab with him, that would be pretty cool… I’d probably have to wait on that and get the okay from adidas after his shoe comes out.”

My first thought is, I don’t know what Kanye’s shoe is going to look like but I feel safe is saying it’s not something I could pull off wearing.

This partnership has potential, however. I guess. Earlier on in the interview with The Shoe Game Rose talked about growing up poor and only being able to afford one pair of shoes, so he made sure it was something he could play basketball in and still wear out just as a shoe. He said he has that in mind when helping develop his current shoes.

Kanye’s touch could add to that… not that most of us can pull off that look.

1. cbking05 - Aug 14, 2014 at 3:44 PM

I hate to say this, but this makes me not like D.ROSE that much anymore …

• chicitybulls - Aug 14, 2014 at 4:25 PM

Because he wants to collaborate with one of the best artists in the game and an icon of music? Umm, ok.

• eugenesaxe1 - Aug 14, 2014 at 4:32 PM

Music isn’t a game, and I agree w/ cbking05. Kanye’s an attention whoar, nothing more or less. As far as “icon” goes, no. One can only stretch the definition of “icon”, and it doesn’t reach him.

• chicitybulls - Aug 14, 2014 at 4:45 PM

Well with millions of record sales for each of his albums and multiple awards won I’d say that qualifies as an icon. He has been in the “game” for over 10 years now and no sign of going away. Do I agree with everything he says or does? No. But I can separate that from his talents musically. Some cannot. His music is undeniable as is his talents as an artist and producer. Some artists do call it the “music game”, btw.

• bringin1234 - Aug 15, 2014 at 8:53 AM

Kanye was one of the best artist up until after late registration. Dark fantasy or whatever was good, but 90% of the time now hes just awful and a huge attentionwhore. Kanye has turned into a punk

• chicitybulls - Aug 15, 2014 at 9:56 AM

He’s reinvented himself over several albums. College Dropout is different from 808s and Heartbreaks which is different from My Beautiful Dark Fantasy. All are good (to me) in their own way. If you’re expecting the same thing from every album then you’ll miss “it” and I can see how that person would be disappointed.

• bringin1234 - Aug 15, 2014 at 3:53 PM

maybe its just the fact that outside of music he became a huge tool that made his music less appealing to me. Because outside of music, hes a piece of garbage

• chicitybulls - Aug 15, 2014 at 4:31 PM

I can understand that. Some people can’t separate him as an artist from his views on things. I can. I dont agree with Fred Thompson’s political views but I like to watch the movie “Feds” when it comes on. Lol.

• bringin1234 - Aug 15, 2014 at 4:35 PM

LOL hey man I agree. I still like his older stuff but not so much his newer stuff. My Dark fantasy was sick but that’s about it. I liked him back when he was still from the chi…. now hes too LA for me

• chicitybulls - Aug 15, 2014 at 4:56 PM

Yeah, unfortunately a lot of artists leave after they make it from Common to Jennifer Hudson to Kanye. I guess there’s something to “going where the money is” but still… A lot of people were down on his recent album. I’m waiting to hear the album he’s working on now. Hopefully it’ll have the feel of his old stuff but with a mix of the new.

• pburghballin - Aug 14, 2014 at 4:45 PM

Rose is one of my favorite players…but I puked a little in my mouth when I read this. Despise Kanye…for what he stand for, the message he sends across, and his overall attitude towards life and people in general.

2. money2long - Aug 14, 2014 at 4:33 PM

If this happens drose will have some fly shoes.

3. mackcarrington - Aug 14, 2014 at 7:25 PM

I’d laugh but Kanye’s wife is making millions in the fashion world. I’m certain that she will have some input.

• antistratfordian - Aug 15, 2014 at 3:03 AM

I hope not.

• bringin1234 - Aug 15, 2014 at 8:54 AM

EXACTLY what I was thinking on both of your comments.

the Drose6 via Kim K

• bringin1234 - Aug 15, 2014 at 8:54 AM

or would that be Kimya

4. titansbro - Aug 15, 2014 at 12:04 AM

Kanye is a brilliant musician, no question. But he’s also a puke bag of a human being. Lots of artists are like this. Maynard James Keenan also comes to mind.

• antistratfordian - Aug 15, 2014 at 3:04 AM

I wouldn’t call him a musician. But he does what he does well enough.

5. davidly - Aug 15, 2014 at 4:36 AM

Bet nobody gets fined for tampering.

6. onlyavoice - Aug 15, 2014 at 10:46 AM

Kanye would still be a wanna-be who cannot fill a small club if he didn’t marry Kim.

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches