Aug 13, 2014, 12:01 PM EDT
LeBron James is a trend setter.
And LeBron is going home to Cleveland. Suddenly there is a lot of talk about star players going to play for their hometown team, specifically raised hopes in Washington D.C. that Kevin Durant is going to return and play in the DMV.
What about Stephen Curry returning to Charlotte? Not happening in the short term, he’s got a good thing going on the other coast with the Warriors, but when CBS Sports Radio’s Doug Gottlieb asked him about it Curry spoke wistfully about the idea, as transcribed by the Bay Area News Group.
“I’ve always had thoughts about playing at home, what it would be like,” said Curry, who is in the middle of a four-year, $44 million contract extension with the Warriors. “My dad played there for 10 years, and people around the Greater Charlotte area in North Carolina have done a lot for my family growing up, so you always think about it.
“Right now I feel like I’ve got three years left on my deal, so this isn’t going to be an issue for me for a while. I love the Bay Area and where we are as a team trying to win a championship, and that’s what it’s all about. Of course everybody dreams about or thinks about what it’s going to be like to play at home. Obviously if that opportunity comes along it’s a different discussion.”
Curry isn’t a free agent until 2017 and, barring injury, will be a clear max player. He’s the face of all things Warriors and they will certainly offer the max salary.
It’s far too early to speculate on 2017 (or 2016 for that matter, not that it has stopped people) but this is just something to keep in your mind if you think about the future of Stephen Curry.
And no Toronto, it’s way too early to speculate about Andrew Wiggins coming home, too.
- Thursday night NBA Winners/Losers: The injury gods show Thunder no mercy 0
- No Durant, Westbrook goes down, Thunder still make it interesting but fall to Clippers 0
- Thunder’s Russell Westbrook fractures hand, out indefinitely 4
- LeBron struggles in Cleveland debut as Knicks stun Cavaliers 36
- LeBron, Cavaliers introduced on opening night in Cleveland (VIDEO) 4
- Dominant Pau Gasol shows he may be a perfect fit for Bulls 19
- Old tweets: Kevin Durant uses gay slurs (including at Russell Westbrook), Damian Lillard rips LeBron James 29
- Wednesday night’s NBA winners, losers: Chris Bosh wants you to know he is a No. 1 option 25