Aug 13, 2014, 6:44 PM EDT
It’s here. The NBA schedule is out.
There are 1,230 NBA regular season games each year total, we’re not going to list them all here. Like you’d read that anyway. Here are a few highlights to check out.
• The season starts Oct. 28 with a double-header on TNT. First Dallas goes to San Antonio and watches the Spurs raise banner No. 5. The second game is the Rockets at the Los Angeles Lakers, with the return of Kobe Bryant. It’s Dwight Howard back in Los Angeles and that’s still a draw (and a lot of boos in LA).
• LeBron James wanted to go home and that’s where he starts — the Cavaliers will open the season Oct. 30 at home hosting the New York Knicks. The Cavs second game is the Bulls on Halloween night.
• Carmelo Anthony and the Knicks open the season with a brutal back-to-back, hosting the return of Derrick Rose to the NBA on the 29th then facing the Cleveland on the 30th. Welcome to coaching in the NBA Derek Fisher.
• Fun opening week game on TNT — Clippers host the Thunder on Thursday night Oct. 30. Also on Oct. 31 the Cavaliers and Bulls face off in what should be the first of four regular season games between the top two teams in the East.
• The Lakers and Clippers play each other for the first time on Oct. 31.
• There is a third game on Oct. 28 not getting nationally broadcast, but it’s the start of the season for Anthony Davis and a real potential playoff team in the Pelicans, opening up at home against the Magic. By the end of the season Davis could be the third best player in the NBA.
• Christmas Day — the day most casual fans start watching the NBA — will feature five games. LeBron will make his return to Miami that day with a game between the Cavaliers and Heat, one of the ABC marquee games that day. The other ABC game features the Thunder at the Spurs. The day will open with the Wizards traveling to face the Knicks, it also will include Lakers at the Bulls, and it will close out with the Warriors going to Los Angeles to take on the Clippers.
• Both match ups between the defending champion Spurs and LeBron’s Cavaliers will be nationally televised: Nov. 19, on ESPN and March 12, on TNT.
• The battle between Manhattan and Brooklyn starts Nov. 7 when the Knicks travel to the Nets (and bring a lot of their fans with them).
• Kevin Love will make his return to be booed in Minnesota on Jan. 31. But I sure it will be polite booing.
• Andrew Wiggins reportedly will make his NBA debut Oct. 29 when the Timberwolves travel to Memphis to face the Grizzlies.
• The NBA will play two regular season games overseas, both on Nov. 12 — the Rockets and Timberwolves in Mexico City, and the Knicks and Bucks (coached by Jason Kidd) in London.
• Martin Luther King Day will see four games: The Pistons at the Hawks, the Mavericks at the Grizzlies, he Bulls at the Cavaliers in a good one, and finally the Lakers at the Suns.
• The Nets and Raptors had a great playoff series last year, they face off in Toronto on Dec. 17.
• Want to watch LeBron put up a lot of points in Madison Square Garden? Dec. 4 the Cavs travel to the Knicks.
• Pau Gasol, the new Chicago Bull, makes his return to Los Angeles to take on the Lakers Jan. 29.
• On March 31 we get a Finals rematch of last year with the Spurs in Miami. That lacks a little luster now.
• To close out, we have this observation from John Schuhmann of NBA.com.
Nov 1, 2014, 12:31 AM EDT
Oct 31, 2014, 11:23 PM EDT
It wasn’t perfect, but the Cavaliers will take the hard-fought victory after the opening night embarrassment.
Oct 31, 2014, 10:13 PM EDT
An exercise in futility for Waiters.
Oct 31, 2014, 9:05 PM EDT
Fair for both sides.
Oct 31, 2014, 7:23 PM EDT
Some Halloween fun in Phoenix.
Oct 31, 2014, 6:03 PM EDT
Varejao is one of LeBron James’ favorite teammates
Oct 31, 2014, 5:48 PM EDT
Butler’s agent claims the Bulls wanted him to take a hometown discount.
Oct 31, 2014, 5:22 PM EDT
Thompson’s max deal was inevitable.
Oct 31, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
It’s as great as you’d expect.
Oct 31, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT
Lopez has no timetable for a return.
Oct 31, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Knight will be a restricted free agent this summer.
Oct 31, 2014, 2:33 PM EDT
LeBron’s agent also represents Jackson
Oct 31, 2014, 1:37 PM EDT
Oklahoma City has completely relied on its two – now injured – stars
Oct 31, 2014, 12:50 PM EDT
Are they certain this time?
Oct 31, 2014, 12:06 PM EDT
Utah betting big, too big, on Burks continuing to improve
Oct 31, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT
Clippers owner continues to go crazy while watching games
Oct 31, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Dirk, Monta and Chandler are the new Run DMC
Oct 31, 2014, 9:53 AM EDT
New coach didn’t give reserves enough playing time in Cleveland’s opener
Oct 31, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Somehow, this seems to make sense for both sides
Oct 31, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT
Pregame rituals were really the best part of the game for Cavs fans.
- LeBron scores 36, Cavaliers bounce back to get overtime win over Bulls 4
- Ricky Rubio agrees to 4-year, $55 million contract extension with Timberwolves 6
- Report: Warriors agree to four-year, $70 million extension with Klay Thompson 13
- Can Thunder, without Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook, overcome their first identity crisis? 13
- Jazz guard Alec Burks signs contract extension worth $42 million-$45 million 11
- Thursday night NBA Winners/Losers: The injury gods show Thunder no mercy 12
- No Durant, Westbrook goes down, Thunder still make it interesting but fall to Clippers 2
- Thunder’s Russell Westbrook fractures hand, likely out 4-6 weeks 10