Aug 13, 2014, 1:20 PM EST
When you attended a Los Angeles Clippers game as a media member you got to see the media dining area become “Club Sterling” — Donald and/or Shelly Sterling would be there, holding court, surrounded by the people who wanted to be near them and kiss their… you know. They clearly savored it. They loved being the people that owned the Clippers.
Shelly Sterling gets to keep a piece of that.
Which is disturbing. This is not a good person we are talking about.
It’s part of the price of the sale of the team to Steve Ballmer, a sale Shelly helped orchestrate by pushing aside Donald in the Sterling Family Trust with a Machiavellian move. It spared the NBA owners having to vote out one of their own, a precedent their preferred not to set. It got the team to an owner the NBA has wanted to bring in. It saves face.
Shelly Sterling no longer owns any piece of the Clippers, but here is what she does still get as part of this sale.
• Official title of “owner emeritus”
• Official title of “Clippers No. 1 fan”
• Two courtside tickets for all Clippers home games
• Ten tickets in the good seats in the lower bowl of Staples Center for all Clippers home games
• A dozen VIP passes to the luxury lounges (or media room) for all Clippers home games
• Six parking passes for every Clippers home game
• Three championship rings should the Clippers win a title
Why is that disturbing? Because Shelly Sterling is far from clean in all of Donald Sterling filth.
Shelly Sterling shows up all over some of the housing discrimination lawsuits filed against Sterling. She allegedly posed as a government inspector to both find out what race the tenants of their buildings were and to harass some of them. While this was all going on she said her husband was not a racist to the cameras.
But she’s the lesser of two evils for the league — she got Donald out, she got the team to Ballmer and avoided an owners’ vote on him, so they can live with Ballmer paying this price to her. She gets to keep this part of her life and identity.
Still, this whole thing makes me feel like I need to take a shower.
Nov 23, 2014, 8:00 PM EST
What did you expect him to think?
Nov 23, 2014, 6:30 PM EST
Whiteside has put up big numbers for the Iowa Energy.
Nov 23, 2014, 5:00 PM EST
Henry has missed four games this season.
Nov 23, 2014, 3:30 PM EST
Rose could return Monday.
Nov 23, 2014, 2:01 PM EST
Bargnani was close to a return from his hamstring injury.
Nov 23, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
The Pelicans are now without two starters.
Nov 23, 2014, 11:00 AM EST
Combination of a lower price tag and a more diverse overall skill set may explain why.
Nov 23, 2014, 9:30 AM EST
When he uses his athleticism to get to the rim good things happen.
Nov 23, 2014, 8:00 AM EST
“This is not even the lowest it’s going to get for us.” —LeBron James
Nov 23, 2014, 1:04 AM EST
There was nothing the Utah Jazz could do.
Nov 22, 2014, 11:30 PM EST
Adam Silver has said it should happen, and Cuban agrees.
Nov 22, 2014, 10:00 PM EST
Leonard missed time with an eye infection.
Nov 22, 2014, 8:30 PM EST
Dunleavy says he was just trying to foul to stop the clock. Watch and decide for yourself.
Nov 22, 2014, 7:06 PM EST
With him and starting power forward Terrence Jones out, the Rockets are very thin up front.
Nov 22, 2014, 6:30 PM EST
Detroit is next to last in field goal percentage on the season.
Nov 22, 2014, 5:00 PM EST
Toronto won by 42 points, so this only matters if you had a certain Milwaukee player on your fantasy team.
Nov 22, 2014, 3:30 PM EST
Mike James or Will Bynum could be added to the roster for a short stint.
Nov 22, 2014, 2:00 PM EST
Bledsoe says the Sixers warned him before the game that he would be targeted for his previous comments.
Nov 22, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
X-rays were negative but he is going to miss some time.
Nov 22, 2014, 11:00 AM EST
Both are expected to participate in parts of Saturday’s practice.
- LeBron James: “We’re a very fragile team right now” 42
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 3
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 12
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 11
- Report: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook could return to Thunder lineup next week 11
- Kobe Bryant says he took large enough discount for Lakers to contend 55
- Report: Jeff Taylor won’t appeal 24-game suspension 2
- Timberwolves’ Kevin Martin out indefinitely after scoring 31 points with fractured wrist 8