Aug 13, 2014, 1:44 PM EDT
The pressure is on David Blatt in Cleveland — he’s a rookie coach handed a title contender with LeBron James, Kyrie Irving and soon Kevin Love. The owner and star player want to win now, not tomorrow. Oh, and by the way, former Warriors coach Mark Jackson just switched agents to Rich Paul, who is LeBron James’ good friend and agent.
Blatt is an experienced international coach but admitted while coaching at Summer League in Las Vegas he was still getting used to the flow of the NBA game, when to call time outs and things like that.
Looks like he’s bringing in a little help in that regard — Larry Drew. Via Gary Washburn of the Boston Globe.
Smart hire here. Blatt could use some veteran NBA voices around him, just to help him and Drew was the head coach last season of the Bucks (before new ownership brought in Jason Kidd) and before that was the head coach of the Hawks for three seasons. Drew actually tried to recruit Blatt to his staff in Atlanta.
Dan Gilbert and Cleveland’s management’s big test now will be patience — it may take a season for all of this to click. There needs to be some roster tweaks — you need a rim protector, for one — but if you don’t give Blatt a chance, if you don’t let this jell, it will never work out as you hope.
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 49
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 17
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 33
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 7
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 8
- Reports: Bulls getting closer to firing Tom Thibodeau 30
- PBT Extra: Despite ending, Hawks had season worth celebrating 3
- Bucks’ Jared Dudley: “Most guys don’t want to play with Kobe” 64