Aug 13, 2014, 12:25 AM EDT
Wednesday we’re going to find out what games we are going make the family watch on Christmas Day, which piss off our drunk uncle who will complain about how basketball was “better back in his day.”
Wednesday at 6 p.m. ET the NBA will announce the league’s schedule for next season in a special on NBA TV. That show will highlight the marquee games of the season — starting with the Oct. 28 double header tip off — and by the time it is over all the teams in the NBA will have released their schedule.
But some things are starting to leak out. Here is what we know.
• Christmas Day will feature five games and we apparently know all of them: Cavaliers and LeBron James at the Miami Heat (likely one of the two ABC marquee games); the Thunder and Spurs face off according to Darnell Mayberry of the Oklahoman (likely the other ABC game); the Clippers and Warriors (likely the last game of the night, as it was last year); the Knicks and the Wizards (likely the first day of the game); and the Bulls and Lakers (reportedly in Chicago).
• The Oct. 28 double header to open the season will feature the Spurs in one game, according to multiple reports, although there seems to be a split between whether the Cavaliers or Mavericks are the opponents (the Cavaliers make more marketing sense). The late game is reportedly the Rockets and Clippers.
• The Knicks reportedly will open their season with a brutal back-to-back of the Bulls and then Cavaliers.
• The NBA will play two regular season games overseas, both on Nov. 12 — the Rockets and Timberwolves in Mexico City, and the Knicks and Bucks (coached by Jason Kidd) in London.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 13
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50