Greg Oden formally charged with felony battery, not guilty plea entered

Aug 13, 2014, 10:30 PM EDT

This part of the court proceedings is a bit of a formality, but the felony battery charges against former NBA No. 1 pick Greg Oden became official before a judge Wednesday morning in Indianapolis.

A not guilty plea was entered (standard at this point in any criminal case, it can be changed later after plea bargain negotiations) and a trial date of Oct. 22 was set, according to the Associated Press.

Oden has been charged with one count of battery resulting in serious bodily injury — a felony that can come with one to six years in jail — as well charges of domestic battery and battery resulting in bodily injury, both misdemeanors.

Oden admitted to the arresting officers that he did this, according to the original police report.

The officer noticed “blood, swelling to the nose, lacerations to the forehead and nose area” of the victim’s face. Police also saw blood on the sofa and floor. A flower pot was also knocked over during the disturbance. …

“Things got out of control and I started to go after the victim,” police quoted Oden in the report…. “I was wrong and I know what has to happen,” Oden told officers. He said he and the woman had dated for approximately two years and broke up about two months ago.

It’s a minor point in comparison, but Oden is a free agent right now and it’s hard to see a team taking the PR hit and bringing him for training camp in at this point. Oden played last season with the Heat but by the time the games really mattered he had fallen far out of the rotation. On a team that could have used some size.

1. goldmember21 - Aug 13, 2014 at 11:01 PM

………………………..

2. 1harrypairatesties - Aug 13, 2014 at 11:39 PM

No more Basketball for you Mr. Wifebeater. (Even though she’s your girlfriend)

3. ProBasketballPundit - Aug 13, 2014 at 11:41 PM

When the accused clearly stated to police at the scene that he was guilty can we just skip the part where it becomes a circus and costs the taxpayers a ton of money?

• apkyletexas - Aug 14, 2014 at 12:10 AM

That’s the part that started today. It’s called arraignment. There will be many, many additional time-wasting, money-wasting steps along the way. And, because he’s probably got somewhere north of $20 million lying around to spend on lawyers and stuff, he’ll probably end up with probation or a bit of confinement to his mansion.

4. Nadeem - Aug 14, 2014 at 12:50 AM

Stick a fork in him, he is done! Oh wait, he was done 3 years ago. He is rotting now.

5. jrs45 - Aug 14, 2014 at 5:12 AM

Well at least he’s getting some time on the court lol.

6. zackd2 - Aug 14, 2014 at 5:41 AM

I hope he signs with the Clippers, and then wait to see if anyone then threaten to boycott the season

7. ironyisadeadscene - Aug 14, 2014 at 7:34 AM

2 game suspension incoming…….. Thanks Goodell

8. daddyb1gdrawz - Aug 14, 2014 at 11:43 AM

I am sure Ohio St. loves the fact he is wearing their T-shirt in handcuffs.

• redbaronx - Aug 14, 2014 at 2:43 PM

@daddyb1 – I didn’t even notice that until you mentioned it! I wonder whether he had a choice in what to wear before they cuffed him. Was it at his home? It’s pretty stupid for him to wear that. That’s really going to alienate some people.

• asimonetti88 - Aug 14, 2014 at 3:28 PM

“I wonder whether he had a choice in what to wear before they cuffed him.”

Is that a serious question?

• redbaronx - Aug 15, 2014 at 3:34 PM

@asimonetti88 – If police arrest you at home, some will make an allowance for you to take a moment before they take you away.

• asimonetti88 - Aug 15, 2014 at 3:59 PM

Um, no they don’t.

• redbaronx - Aug 15, 2014 at 4:12 PM

Yeah they do. I have friends who are cops.

9. imakcds - Aug 14, 2014 at 1:45 PM

I guess nobody here ever made a mistake before.
    and I guess everybody here knows what to expect from their gf’s, no matter what.

• ans2034 - Aug 14, 2014 at 7:02 PM

We all make mistakes imakcds….putting your hands on a woman and beating the hell out of her is something else.

If your looking for sympathy for him, I suggest you look elsewhere.

• imakcds - Aug 17, 2014 at 4:24 PM

@ans2034: I am NOT condoning what he did, nor am I looking for sympathy for him, my comment is directed at all the Judgmentalism here, such as what you are exhibiting.
        You don’t know where Oden’s mind was at that moment, nor did he, for that matter.
        Tell me that your relationships with females have all been totally smooth sailing, that you never once blew your top.
        It’s like Road Rage, I’m sure you’ve never experienced that, either.
        Naw, not you.

10. ans2034 - Aug 14, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Pathetic excuse for a man. Disgrace to the NBA and to men everywhere.

• imakcds - Aug 17, 2014 at 4:24 PM

see my reply to your reply.
      Your Honor, Sir.

• ans2034 - Aug 24, 2014 at 1:12 AM

I am a woman : )

• ans2034 - Aug 24, 2014 at 1:19 AM

I get what you are saying and no relationship is perfect but to get to the point where you physically could do harm to someone by putting your hands on them…I just don’t understand. Whatever happened to walking away or leaving the situation. He could have made another choice.

I for one have been in the position of his girlfriend and that is why I don’t condone it.

I have experienced road rage but not to the extent that I wanted to physically harm someone else.

11. moppop - Aug 14, 2014 at 11:03 AM

In fact, the default plea is not guilty.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches