Air Jordan XX9: First impressions from the wear test experience (VIDEO)

Aug 13, 2014, 9:30 PM EST

CHICAGO – The newest edition of the flagship sneaker from Jordan Brand has a September release date, but the company had a group of media members out to Chicago this week to put it through its paces, while giving those participating an amazing experience.

The Air Jordan XX8 set the standard for performance in basketball footwear when it was released about 18 months ago, and improving upon it is no small task. But that’s what was attempted with the Jordan XX9, and few will be disappointed with the end result.

I broke down some first impressions after playing a couple of games in them on Tuesday — at Michael Jordan’s house.

More on that later in the full recap of the experience, but for now, check out my initial review in the video clip above.

1. antistratfordian - Aug 13, 2014 at 10:03 PM

Not diggin’ the oversized jumpman… or the large 23 on the tongue. I could only wear it if it was black on black, I think.

• loungefly74 - Aug 14, 2014 at 10:46 AM

agree. fix those 2 things and we are talkin’.

last pair of MJ’s i had were the XIV…designed/inspired from the Ferrari. i think they call those the “last shot” shoes…all black with red trim. they were sweet.

2. chicagosports2014 - Aug 13, 2014 at 11:44 PM

dey would look raw on the court. but I’m more of a retro sneaker head I like throw back joints

3. tigerpork - Aug 14, 2014 at 12:02 AM

Good god this is uglier than my girlfriend.

• sportsfan18 - Aug 14, 2014 at 12:12 PM

what if your sweetie comes home wearing them then?

4. mightbegoingtohellforthis - Aug 14, 2014 at 12:36 AM

I’m starting to think that basketball shoes are designed by the kids that make them.

5. iammr713 - Aug 14, 2014 at 4:20 AM

only old guys wear these.

• Lujah - Aug 14, 2014 at 8:33 PM

What’s the new style for you youngn’s? Oh yeah you’re wearing lady pants now. So the shoes you’ll probably wear now are like high heels or furry boots or something, right?

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches