Statements from Clippers’ players on sale of team, Steve Ballmer on sale price of Clippers

Aug 12, 2014, 3:14 PM EDT

If you are trying to envision the mood around the Clippers and the NBA since the sale of the team to former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer for $2 billion became official today, well, picture the “ding dong the witch is dead” seen from the Wizard of Oz. Just with taller people doing the singing and dancing.

(Not that Donald Sterling will not still be a nuisance with his lawsuits, but his days of owning the team are over, no judge is going to undo that sale.)

While the sale was expected the reactions still have been pouring in, so we’re bringing you some of them.

Chris Paul: “I am very excited about Mr. Ballmer’s purchase of the Clippers. I’ve had a chance to meet him and his excitement for the game of basketball and our team is going to be great for the league, the city of Los Angeles and Clipper fans everywhere.

Blake Griffin: “Today is a great day for the Clipper organization and fans everywhere. I look forward to having Mr. Ballmer as an owner and continuing our pursuit of a championship.”

DeAndre Jordan: “I cannot wait to play this season knowing Mr. Ballmer is our owner. Today was a great day for the Clippers.”

Jamal Crawford: “Living in the Seattle area, I am very familiar with Mr. Ballmer. He will bring so many great things to the Clippers and the NBA. I am excited to get started.”

As for Steve Ballmer himself, the man who owns the team, he again shot down any notion that he would move the team to Seattle. Ballmer was part of the group that tried to buy the Kings and move them to Seattle, but this is different. As he noted previously, he just paid a premium for a team that would lose half its value overnight if moved.

Ballmer also had an interesting perspective on that $2 billion sale price that had everyone doing a double take (including other owners), speaking with Ramona Shelburne of ESPN.

“I feel like I paid a price I’m excited about. It obviously was a price that was negotiated and I feel very good about it. It’s not a cheap price, but when you’re used to looking at tech companies with huge risk, no earnings and huge multiples, this doesn’t look like the craziest thing I’ve ever acquired. It’s my own personal money, and you’re just as careful with your own money as you are with your shareholders money. And compared to some of the public traded companies, there are great companies out there like Amazon with absolutely no earnings and a huge market caps and lots of risk. There’s much less risk. There’s real earnings in this business. There’s real upside opportunity. So compared to the things I looked at in tech, this was a reasonable purchase and it’s one I’m really excited about.”

Latest Posts
  1. Report: Free agent Glen Davis to have ankle surgery, out 2-3 months

Sep 2, 2015, 8:31 PM EDT

Glen Davis Glen Davis

He could be back on the court around Thanksgiving, if a team picks him up.

2. Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges

Sep 2, 2015, 6:31 PM EDT

Houston Rockets v Golden State Warriors - Game Five Getty Images

Don’t bring a loaded Glock to an airport, people. It’s pretty much common sense.

3. Celtics’ Isaiah Thomas: “I wanna be the best little guy to ever play the game of basketball”

Sep 2, 2015, 4:59 PM EDT

Boston Celtics v Cleveland Cavaliers- Game Two Getty Images

Best ever little guy? Calvin Murphy is in the HOF, so he’s the man.

4. Report: Clippers planning a mascot

Sep 2, 2015, 4:13 PM EDT

Los Angeles Clippers v Utah Jazz Getty Images

It won’t be called Seagull Kneivel

5. D-League Showcase will use net rating as tiebreaker

Sep 2, 2015, 3:14 PM EDT

2015 NBA D League Showcase Getty Images

Advanced stats aren’t always the answer

6. Shaq with the coolest fist bump ever (video)

Sep 2, 2015, 2:17 PM EDT

2015 NBA Finals - Game One Getty Images

If only I could get people to run up to fist bump me while I walk…

7. Report: 76ers interested in Kendall Marshall

Sep 2, 2015, 12:23 PM EDT

Philadelphia 76ers v Milwaukee Bucks Getty Images

Point guard reportedly working out in Philadelphia

8. Ty Lawson on coming to Houston: “It’s definitely a breath of fresh air”

Sep 2, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT

Sacramento Kings v Denver Nuggets Getty Images

For Lawson personally I hope this move and this situation is what he needs to get his life in order.

9. Report: Pistons signing Eric Griffin

Sep 1, 2015, 11:07 PM EDT

Indiana Pacers v Dallas Mavericks Getty Images

Griffin will give Pistons 19 players, 17 with guaranteed salaries

10. LeBron James: Championship not a requirement of a great team

Sep 1, 2015, 10:07 PM EDT

LeBron James AP

LeBron indicates 1999-00 Trail Blazers were great, implies something about his own career

11. Erik Spoelstra: Heat’s starting lineup needs time before it’ll succeed

Sep 1, 2015, 9:01 PM EDT

Miami Heat v Detroit Pistons Getty Images

Goran Dragic, Dwyane Wade, Luol Deng, Chris Bosh and Hassan Whiteside look pretty good on paper

Top 10 NBA Player Searches