Statements from Clippers’ players on sale of team, Steve Ballmer on sale price of Clippers

Aug 12, 2014, 3:14 PM EDT

If you are trying to envision the mood around the Clippers and the NBA since the sale of the team to former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer for $2 billion became official today, well, picture the “ding dong the witch is dead” seen from the Wizard of Oz. Just with taller people doing the singing and dancing.

(Not that Donald Sterling will not still be a nuisance with his lawsuits, but his days of owning the team are over, no judge is going to undo that sale.)

While the sale was expected the reactions still have been pouring in, so we’re bringing you some of them.

Chris Paul: “I am very excited about Mr. Ballmer’s purchase of the Clippers. I’ve had a chance to meet him and his excitement for the game of basketball and our team is going to be great for the league, the city of Los Angeles and Clipper fans everywhere.

Blake Griffin: “Today is a great day for the Clipper organization and fans everywhere. I look forward to having Mr. Ballmer as an owner and continuing our pursuit of a championship.”

DeAndre Jordan: “I cannot wait to play this season knowing Mr. Ballmer is our owner. Today was a great day for the Clippers.”

Jamal Crawford: “Living in the Seattle area, I am very familiar with Mr. Ballmer. He will bring so many great things to the Clippers and the NBA. I am excited to get started.”

As for Steve Ballmer himself, the man who owns the team, he again shot down any notion that he would move the team to Seattle. Ballmer was part of the group that tried to buy the Kings and move them to Seattle, but this is different. As he noted previously, he just paid a premium for a team that would lose half its value overnight if moved.

Ballmer also had an interesting perspective on that $2 billion sale price that had everyone doing a double take (including other owners), speaking with Ramona Shelburne of ESPN.

“I feel like I paid a price I’m excited about. It obviously was a price that was negotiated and I feel very good about it. It’s not a cheap price, but when you’re used to looking at tech companies with huge risk, no earnings and huge multiples, this doesn’t look like the craziest thing I’ve ever acquired. It’s my own personal money, and you’re just as careful with your own money as you are with your shareholders money. And compared to some of the public traded companies, there are great companies out there like Amazon with absolutely no earnings and a huge market caps and lots of risk. There’s much less risk. There’s real earnings in this business. There’s real upside opportunity. So compared to the things I looked at in tech, this was a reasonable purchase and it’s one I’m really excited about.”

Latest Posts
  1. Tony Parker says for Spurs this is “last crack at it to try to win it all”

Jul 30, 2015, 5:40 PM EDT

Tony Parker, Tim Duncan Tony Parker, Tim Duncan

In what will be the last year for Duncan and Manu Ginobili, not to mention David West’s long career, there will be plenty of desperation and energy in San Antonio.

2. Flip Saunders: Kevin Garnett will start for Timberwolves

Jul 30, 2015, 3:25 PM EDT

Kevin Garnett AP

Will Karl-Anthony Towns, Nikola Pekovic or Gorgui Dieng start beside him?

3. Flip Saunders still maintains he planned to keep Kevin Love until Andrew Wiggins offer

Jul 30, 2015, 1:48 PM EDT

2013 NBA Draft Lottery Getty Images

Timberwolves apparently weren’t just going to trade Love for whatever they could get

4. Mark Cuban: NBA would have punished Tom Brady more harshly than Roger Goodell did

Jul 30, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT

Mark Cuban

Suspending Patriots quarterback for a quarter of the season was bare minimum for Mavericks owner

5. Report: Team USA uncertain whether Dwight Howard, John Wall will attend minicamp

Jul 30, 2015, 12:07 PM EDT

Dwight Howard, John Wall AP

Jerry Colangelo said attendance was mandatory to be considered for 2016 Olympic team

6. Adam Silver: NBA on track to play regular-season games in Africa

Jul 30, 2015, 11:22 AM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwm0ndlhnjzlyjziyjk4otqxymqym2y5yzrintq4yjm1 AP

NBA commissioner confident Africa will get a preseason game

7. Thabo Sefolosha: Too soon to say when I’ll play again

Jul 30, 2015, 10:31 AM EDT

Thabo Sefolosha AP

Hawks wing says his leg and ankle feel better

8. 76ers sign Richaun Holmes

Jul 30, 2015, 9:28 AM EDT

Philadelphia 76ers: Richaun Holmes Portrait Getty Images

Philadelphia drafted Holmes in second round

9. Matt Barnes ready to “foul the beep” out of DeAndre Jordan when Grizzlies, Clippers meet

Jul 30, 2015, 8:33 AM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpthkoty3ytfmn2fjnjvlyjeyytc0mwvlngi0nwqyzmjh AP

Barnes is a perfect fit in for the “grit and grind” style of the Grizzlies.

10. Wesley Matthews says Trail Blazers never made him an offer, “I was pissed off”

Jul 30, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT

Memphis Grizzlies v Portland Trail Blazers - Game Three Getty Images

Portland not making a call means they knew Aldridge was gone and it was time to rebuild.

11. Report: Rockets sign Chuck Hayes to one-year deal

Jul 30, 2015, 12:55 AM EDT

Toronto Raptors v New York Knicks Getty Images

The Rockets have nice depth up front.

12. Anthony Davis excited to get running in Alvin Gentry’s offense

Jul 29, 2015, 10:55 PM EDT

Golden State Warriors v New Orleans Pelicans - Game Four Getty Images

The Pelicans were one of the slowest paced teams in the NBA last season, that’s about to change.

13. Chris Kaman has new reality show, to air on Mark Cuban’s network

Jul 29, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT

Philadelphia 76ers v Los Angeles Lakers Philadelphia 76ers v Los Angeles Lakers

“I think someone who would watch this would think there is something wrong with me and something wrong with my friends.” — Chris Kaman

14. Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves

Jul 29, 2015, 8:47 PM EDT

Shabazz Napier, Andre Miller Shabazz Napier, Andre Miller

Andrew Wiggins and Karl-Anthony Towns are about to be finishing alley-oops from the best lob passer in the game.

Top 10 NBA Player Searches