Statements from Clippers’ players on sale of team, Steve Ballmer on sale price of Clippers

Aug 12, 2014, 3:14 PM EDT

If you are trying to envision the mood around the Clippers and the NBA since the sale of the team to former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer for $2 billion became official today, well, picture the “ding dong the witch is dead” seen from the Wizard of Oz. Just with taller people doing the singing and dancing.

(Not that Donald Sterling will not still be a nuisance with his lawsuits, but his days of owning the team are over, no judge is going to undo that sale.)

While the sale was expected the reactions still have been pouring in, so we’re bringing you some of them.

Chris Paul: “I am very excited about Mr. Ballmer’s purchase of the Clippers. I’ve had a chance to meet him and his excitement for the game of basketball and our team is going to be great for the league, the city of Los Angeles and Clipper fans everywhere.

Blake Griffin: “Today is a great day for the Clipper organization and fans everywhere. I look forward to having Mr. Ballmer as an owner and continuing our pursuit of a championship.”

DeAndre Jordan: “I cannot wait to play this season knowing Mr. Ballmer is our owner. Today was a great day for the Clippers.”

Jamal Crawford: “Living in the Seattle area, I am very familiar with Mr. Ballmer. He will bring so many great things to the Clippers and the NBA. I am excited to get started.”

As for Steve Ballmer himself, the man who owns the team, he again shot down any notion that he would move the team to Seattle. Ballmer was part of the group that tried to buy the Kings and move them to Seattle, but this is different. As he noted previously, he just paid a premium for a team that would lose half its value overnight if moved.

Ballmer also had an interesting perspective on that $2 billion sale price that had everyone doing a double take (including other owners), speaking with Ramona Shelburne of ESPN.

“I feel like I paid a price I’m excited about. It obviously was a price that was negotiated and I feel very good about it. It’s not a cheap price, but when you’re used to looking at tech companies with huge risk, no earnings and huge multiples, this doesn’t look like the craziest thing I’ve ever acquired. It’s my own personal money, and you’re just as careful with your own money as you are with your shareholders money. And compared to some of the public traded companies, there are great companies out there like Amazon with absolutely no earnings and a huge market caps and lots of risk. There’s much less risk. There’s real earnings in this business. There’s real upside opportunity. So compared to the things I looked at in tech, this was a reasonable purchase and it’s one I’m really excited about.”

1. RavenzGunnerz - Aug 12, 2014 at 3:19 PM

That last paragraph is on point. Everything might crumble, but sports never crumble. Actually, people find refuge in sports when times are tough.

2. doc305 - Aug 12, 2014 at 3:32 PM

I think I heard it on the radio a couple weeks back. The two billion this guy paid was equivalent to what he made since the beginning of this year. In a little over half a year the guy made enough to buy a basketball team….. must be nice.

• asimonetti88 - Aug 12, 2014 at 3:41 PM

Funny thing is the reason why Microsoft stock and in turn his net worth went up is because he was no longer running Microsoft.

• paleihe - Aug 12, 2014 at 3:54 PM

Making money from no longer working somewhere? Sounds like a dream.

• asimonetti88 - Aug 12, 2014 at 4:59 PM

Yeah I guess a good strategy is to mismanage a company so much that the stock goes up just because you’ve left. If it works, can’t knock it I guess.

3. raid2055 - Aug 12, 2014 at 5:17 PM

Thank God this is finally over! Now all I want for Christmas is for the clippers to find themselves their own home. Get out of the Staple Center. If you are really a true Championship Team, go and make a place for yourself. Don’t use pictures of players to cover true Greatness. Meaning the 16 Banners my Lakers have hanging in that Arena. Or the Retired Jerseys of the Greats that played for use. Move them to Seattle and give those fans what they deserve. The clippers and their fans have done nothing for the city of LA. Los Angeles will always forever be a LAKER TOWN! The Lakers will win a championship before the clippers will. History tells us this. Laker4Ever!

• sportsfan18 - Aug 12, 2014 at 7:33 PM

adults who say always, forever etc… scare me…

even simple minds know nothing is forever

• raid2055 - Aug 12, 2014 at 7:37 PM

And people who that blog banter serious, should have their heads checked. Everything I say, you say, or anyone says on the Internet is their opinions. That’s it. Chill dude and have a drink.

4. bux1022 - Aug 12, 2014 at 5:37 PM

What pipe are your smoking?

5. caeser12 - Aug 12, 2014 at 8:14 PM

So I guess Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones showed up and shined a red beam into everyones eyes, and all forgot about Shelly Sterlings involvement in her Husbands evil, and despicable treatment of his tenants. Smh.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches