Aug 12, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
The Lakers are going to struggle this season. They might be entertaining on offense, with Kobe Bryant, Nick Young, Carlos Boozer, Steve Nash/Jeremy Lin at the point. But they are not going to be able to stop anyone. And in a deep, brutal Western Conference that’s not enough to keep them playoff bound.
But they are still a draw. Our own Brett Pollakoff tweeted this:
The NBA schedule is expected to be released this week and some of the highlights are starting to leak out. This would be part of that and while we’re not sure about it this seems likely.
It’s interesting because the Lakers have hosted on Christmas Day for a number of years in a row. They seem to have lost that standing.
If you’re asking why the Lakers are one of the 10 teams playing on Christmas (and likely in one of the two big national television slots) it’s because you’ll tune in to watch. Kobe Bryant vs. Derrick Rose. Kobe is a draw and the Lakers remain the Cowboys/Yankees of the NBA. It’s a brand that survives some down years.
Other games rumored for Christmas day are the Heat vs. Cavaliers in a game for LeBron James against his former team, and also the Clippers and Warriors in a game of the best of the Pacific Division.
We should know the rest in a couple of days.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 1
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 12
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 14
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 14
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 12
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 46