Aug 12, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
The Lakers are going to struggle this season. They might be entertaining on offense, with Kobe Bryant, Nick Young, Carlos Boozer, Steve Nash/Jeremy Lin at the point. But they are not going to be able to stop anyone. And in a deep, brutal Western Conference that’s not enough to keep them playoff bound.
But they are still a draw. Our own Brett Pollakoff tweeted this:
The NBA schedule is expected to be released this week and some of the highlights are starting to leak out. This would be part of that and while we’re not sure about it this seems likely.
It’s interesting because the Lakers have hosted on Christmas Day for a number of years in a row. They seem to have lost that standing.
If you’re asking why the Lakers are one of the 10 teams playing on Christmas (and likely in one of the two big national television slots) it’s because you’ll tune in to watch. Kobe Bryant vs. Derrick Rose. Kobe is a draw and the Lakers remain the Cowboys/Yankees of the NBA. It’s a brand that survives some down years.
Other games rumored for Christmas day are the Heat vs. Cavaliers in a game for LeBron James against his former team, and also the Clippers and Warriors in a game of the best of the Pacific Division.
We should know the rest in a couple of days.
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 14
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 7
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 48
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 17