Aug 12, 2014, 8:00 AM EST
The Lakers are going to struggle this season. They might be entertaining on offense, with Kobe Bryant, Nick Young, Carlos Boozer, Steve Nash/Jeremy Lin at the point. But they are not going to be able to stop anyone. And in a deep, brutal Western Conference that’s not enough to keep them playoff bound.
But they are still a draw. Our own Brett Pollakoff tweeted this:
The NBA schedule is expected to be released this week and some of the highlights are starting to leak out. This would be part of that and while we’re not sure about it this seems likely.
It’s interesting because the Lakers have hosted on Christmas Day for a number of years in a row. They seem to have lost that standing.
If you’re asking why the Lakers are one of the 10 teams playing on Christmas (and likely in one of the two big national television slots) it’s because you’ll tune in to watch. Kobe Bryant vs. Derrick Rose. Kobe is a draw and the Lakers remain the Cowboys/Yankees of the NBA. It’s a brand that survives some down years.
Other games rumored for Christmas day are the Heat vs. Cavaliers in a game for LeBron James against his former team, and also the Clippers and Warriors in a game of the best of the Pacific Division.
We should know the rest in a couple of days.
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 18
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 8
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 5
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 18
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6