Aug 12, 2014, 1:01 AM EST
“I think this happens to be a situation where they have been observing me for years playing down here. They decided this can work. There’s a lot of things that go into it besides ‘This would be a cool idea.’ It’s got to fit and it’s got to be the right fit and it just so happens that it is down here — and the environment they create.
“It is big and I definitely hope little girls can say, ‘Hey look people can do whatever they put their mind to.’ It’s exciting and honestly it’s too early to tell what kind of [future] impact it is going to have.”
—Spurs assistant coach Becky Hammon on how she got a job with San Antonio Spurs, via the Boston Globe (you should read the entire feature).
Last season Hammon tore her left anterior cruciate ligament and as she was rehabbing around the Spurs facility she asked if she could just be around the men’s team, sit in on coaches meetings and basically just hang around and soak things up. She did. And she asked questions, interjected points. As she did it Gregg Popovich, R.C. Buford and the rest realized she had a fantastic basketball mind.
So they hired her. For basketball reasons. And it will work out for that same reason — she knows the game. And if you don’t think Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and the rest will respect that, you haven’t been paying attention.
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 16
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 4
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11