Quote of the Day: Becky Hammon on how she got job in San Antonio

Aug 12, 2014, 1:01 AM EST

Spurs Hammon Basketball AP

“I think this happens to be a situation where they have been observing me for years playing down here. They decided this can work. There’s a lot of things that go into it besides ‘This would be a cool idea.’ It’s got to fit and it’s got to be the right fit and it just so happens that it is down here — and the environment they create.

“It is big and I definitely hope little girls can say, ‘Hey look people can do whatever they put their mind to.’ It’s exciting and honestly it’s too early to tell what kind of [future] impact it is going to have.”

—Spurs assistant coach Becky Hammon on how she got a job with San Antonio Spurs, via the Boston Globe (you should read the entire feature).

Last season Hammon tore her left anterior cruciate ligament and as she was rehabbing around the Spurs facility she asked if she could just be around the men’s team, sit in on coaches meetings and basically just hang around and soak things up. She did. And she asked questions, interjected points. As she did it Gregg Popovich, R.C. Buford and the rest realized she had a fantastic basketball mind.

So they hired her. For basketball reasons. And it will work out for that same reason — she knows the game. And if you don’t think Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and the rest will respect that, you haven’t been paying attention.

1. mackcarrington - Aug 12, 2014 at 2:21 AM

The fact that they keep hammering “for basketball reasons” leads to the logical conclusion that it was for “other reasons”.

• spursareold - Aug 12, 2014 at 6:13 AM

Except, not. I think it was one quote from Pop that keeps being repeated over and over by the press.

If you think they hired a woman to hire a woman, you don’t know the Spurs at all.

• mackcarrington - Aug 12, 2014 at 6:34 AM

No, I don’t claim to know the Spurs. Nowhere in my post do you see me saying that I claim to know the Spurs. It’s simply that it was already stated that she was hired for “basketball reasons.” What I don’t understand is why they feel they need to keep beating people over the head with it. Frankly, I wouldn’t give it a second thought if they didn’t force me to have second thoughts about it. But I understand your emotional reaction to my post.

• Kevin S. - Aug 12, 2014 at 7:26 AM

One, you’re full of it. It’s impossible not to be aware of it, even if you believe the Spurs did hire her purely for basketball reasons, as I do. Two, any continued emphasis is necessary given the reactionary crowd yakking about this being a PC hire or any of the worse comments made on this site or elsewhere.

• 00maltliquor - Aug 12, 2014 at 8:12 AM

( •_•)
        ∫\ \___( •_•)
        _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

• spursareold - Aug 12, 2014 at 8:13 AM

mack – I’ll repeat it since you didn’t seem to read my first post: the Spurs don’t keep saying it, the press keeps recycling one quote.

• spursareold - Aug 12, 2014 at 8:15 AM

00 – Becky is a late 30s lady who never married, has no kids, and refers to a “partner”. Do the math.

• urodaddy07 - Aug 12, 2014 at 11:56 PM

Who’s “they”?

2. mauldawg - Aug 12, 2014 at 6:17 AM

PC stunt. What a waste of time!

• apkyletexas - Aug 12, 2014 at 8:54 AM

Except that 10 months from now she’ll be hoisting the Larry O’Brien trophy.

• urodaddy07 - Aug 12, 2014 at 11:57 PM

Are you saying a woman can’t coach basketball?

3. 2bemoore43 - Aug 12, 2014 at 8:55 AM

@Mack: you answered your own question. Q: why does ‘the media’ keep posting the basketball reasons quote? A: ‘mack’ wouldnt have given it a 2nd thought if they wouldnt have.
    Bloggers need hits. its ‘the off season(no NFL, No NBA, No NHL)’ & stories may have to be generated. you get it… just actin like you dont.

4. scoochpooch - Aug 12, 2014 at 8:56 AM

Becky is a commie bastard.

5. arrondior - Aug 12, 2014 at 11:12 AM

I am actually surprised at how many morons here have to be negative. If Pop was impressed, I’m sure she is a sharp talent and will be a great add to the organization. The fact that she’s a woman seems to be a concern only to idiots who view women as objects and not human beings. The fact that she was able to impress the Spurs organization, one of the best in the league, so quickly is apparently to high brow for some people to even consider.

Could Sixers be worst team in NBA history?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches