Aug 12, 2014, 1:01 AM EDT
“I think this happens to be a situation where they have been observing me for years playing down here. They decided this can work. There’s a lot of things that go into it besides ‘This would be a cool idea.’ It’s got to fit and it’s got to be the right fit and it just so happens that it is down here — and the environment they create.
“It is big and I definitely hope little girls can say, ‘Hey look people can do whatever they put their mind to.’ It’s exciting and honestly it’s too early to tell what kind of [future] impact it is going to have.”
—Spurs assistant coach Becky Hammon on how she got a job with San Antonio Spurs, via the Boston Globe (you should read the entire feature).
Last season Hammon tore her left anterior cruciate ligament and as she was rehabbing around the Spurs facility she asked if she could just be around the men’s team, sit in on coaches meetings and basically just hang around and soak things up. She did. And she asked questions, interjected points. As she did it Gregg Popovich, R.C. Buford and the rest realized she had a fantastic basketball mind.
So they hired her. For basketball reasons. And it will work out for that same reason — she knows the game. And if you don’t think Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and the rest will respect that, you haven’t been paying attention.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 32
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 64
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 2
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31