Aug 12, 2014, 1:01 AM EST
“I think this happens to be a situation where they have been observing me for years playing down here. They decided this can work. There’s a lot of things that go into it besides ‘This would be a cool idea.’ It’s got to fit and it’s got to be the right fit and it just so happens that it is down here — and the environment they create.
“It is big and I definitely hope little girls can say, ‘Hey look people can do whatever they put their mind to.’ It’s exciting and honestly it’s too early to tell what kind of [future] impact it is going to have.”
—Spurs assistant coach Becky Hammon on how she got a job with San Antonio Spurs, via the Boston Globe (you should read the entire feature).
Last season Hammon tore her left anterior cruciate ligament and as she was rehabbing around the Spurs facility she asked if she could just be around the men’s team, sit in on coaches meetings and basically just hang around and soak things up. She did. And she asked questions, interjected points. As she did it Gregg Popovich, R.C. Buford and the rest realized she had a fantastic basketball mind.
So they hired her. For basketball reasons. And it will work out for that same reason — she knows the game. And if you don’t think Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and the rest will respect that, you haven’t been paying attention.
- Report: Mavericks trading for Rajon Rondo could happen ‘sooner rather than later’ 5
- Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11 6
- Report: Rondo “open” to re-signing in Dallas, Houston if traded there 17
- PBT’s Wednesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You will not question if Memphis is legit again 17
- Grizzlies top Spurs in triple overtime. Best game of the season. So far. 4
- Report: Mavericks and Celtics in ‘substantive discussion’ about Rajon Rondo trade 23
- Report: Celtics now more willing to trade Rajon Rondo 13
- Tyson Chandler says he feels sorry for Carmelo Anthony 19