NBA suspends Suns’ P.J. Tucker three games for super extreme DUI

Aug 12, 2014, 3:33 PM EST

P.J. Tucker AP

The NBA’s standard policy is a two-game suspension for players found guilty of driving under the influence.

The Suns P.J. Tucker earned three games without pay for his super extreme DUI, the league announced Tuesday. That suspension starts opening night of the 2014-15 season.

What is the legal definition of a “super extreme DUI” in Arizona? I don’t know, but I do know that a blood alcohol level of .222 qualifies. As it should. That’s what Tucker tested for when he was arrested back in May in Arizona. Fortunately nobody was injured and there was no accident.

“I am truly sorry and I take full responsibility for my actions,” Tucker said in a statement released by the Suns this summer. “No excuses. It is now my responsibility to examine my life and make the changes necessary to ensure this never happens again. That process has begun and will continue with the love and support of my family, friends and, of course, the amazing Phoenix Suns.”

I think there is a conversation to be had about whether the league comes down hard enough with suspensions on people convicted of a DUI period. Is two games out of 82 enough? Three?

Tucker reached a new three-year, $16.5 million contract with the Suns this summer.

1. ProBasketballPundit - Aug 12, 2014 at 3:35 PM

You guys sure have gotten a lot of mileage out of that joke.

• asimonetti88 - Aug 12, 2014 at 3:38 PM

Which joke?

• ProBasketballPundit - Aug 12, 2014 at 3:47 PM

Search PBT for “super extreme” and you’ll see two headlines and a third reference in the original quote. It’s funny but it’s not that funny.

2. sumkat - Aug 12, 2014 at 4:00 PM

3 whole games?

That will surely put the fear of god into these guys, and make sure it won’t happen again

Oh, he won’t care? Nevermind

3. thetooloftools - Aug 13, 2014 at 5:21 PM

Why even bother. This sends no message at all. A .222? He must have just been hammered. No excuse.

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches