Mark Cuban likes the Mavericks’ offseason, especially his team’s hoops IQ

Aug 12, 2014, 11:49 AM EST

Mark Cuban Mark Cuban

When the Dallas Mavericks won the title back in 2011 they did it with Dirk Nowitzki being an unstoppable scoring force surrounded by a group of quality players who each fit their role well and played a high IQ game.

Nowitzki is still there and his one-legged fade-away jumper is as unstoppable as ever.

This summer the Mavericks went out and added the Chandlers — Tyson Chandler and Chandler Parsons — to go with Jameer Nelson (plus Raymond Felton, who in theory could have a bounce back year at the point) and others. Dallas improved.

Mark Cuban is pumped — he thinks he’s not only got a good team, he’s got a smart team, he told the Dallas Morning News.

“I try never to get too excited, but I’m always excited. Getting Chandler, getting the Chandler brothers is going to be a big step forward for us. I think we’ve gotten younger, I think we’ve got a team that is very flexible; we’ll be able to do a lot of different things. We’ve got a high basketball IQ. I’m really excited about it….

“And I think one of the reasons we were able to give San Antonio such a run is that we had a high basketball IQ and we were able to make adjustments that they didn’t expect. I think if our basketball IQ was a little bit higher, then we should have beat them — we could have beat them, we would have beat them — and that’s what we were looking for this summer: guys with high basketball IQs, guys who can play multiple positions, guys who were unselfish and were willing to move the ball and guys who could hit an open shot. And so we think having a lot of flexibility, being able to switch on defense, moving the ball a lot, we think by adding all these starters from all these other teams, we added guys who had those capabilities and I think hopefully it will take us to the next level.”

As a reminder, the Mavericks took the Spurs to seven games. Spurs players said come the finals that the defenses that Dallas threw at them (and Portland tried to with less success in the next round) helped prepare them for what Miami liked to do.

I’m with Cuban, I like Dallas’ offseason.

The problem is they are in the brutal West, so to me they jump from eight to four out West. I still think they trail the Spurs, Thunder and Clippers. That IQ, that flexibility of system, all of that works well until you run into superior talent with some of the same qualities, and I think three teams out West have more talent than the Mavericks.

Then again, in 2011 I picked against the Mavericks in every playoff round. Maybe I am underestimating them again.

1. Hard On For Harden - Aug 12, 2014 at 11:58 AM

The realization which will sink in during the season that all of you have comically inflated the value of Chandler Parsons (while having paid little to no attention to his career with the exception of the end of 2014 and the following offseason) will be a great joy for me to watch.

• smoothaswilkes - Aug 12, 2014 at 12:15 PM

Said the bitter Rockets fan.

• Hard On For Harden - Aug 12, 2014 at 12:24 PM

The only bitter person is Parsons, who was so “excited” to be in Dallas he had to throw out a bunch of quotes expressing his “shock” that the Rockets didn’t match an offer constructed solely to handicap their roster flexibility.

• smoothaswilkes - Aug 12, 2014 at 12:42 PM

Thanks for proving my point, bitterman.

• Hard On For Harden - Aug 12, 2014 at 12:46 PM

Sure, if twisting words helps solidify your narrative and helps you sleep better at night, then have it. In the meantime I need to grab lunch alone since Dwight and James have shunned me like they do with any teammate they have ever suited up with.

• elcapitanfiscal - Aug 12, 2014 at 1:41 PM

Dude, your name is Hard On for Harden.

• genericcommenter - Aug 12, 2014 at 12:24 PM

He’s not a max player, but that doesn’t mean he isn’t good.

• Hard On For Harden - Aug 12, 2014 at 12:25 PM

Yes, because inflating someone’s value totally means the player in question isn’t “good”.

• genericcommenter - Aug 12, 2014 at 12:35 PM

It does when you are claiming people are going to be disappointed with his play. For the most part, salary/inflated value shouldn’t matter to fans except for the extent that overpaying hampers a team’s ability to put together a full team due to the cap.

I’m just saying that he’s probably capable of filling the role they expect for him, and his contract really isn’t a factor.

2. libertyman62 - Aug 12, 2014 at 12:02 PM

Come on, Mavs….let’s do it AGAIN. 2015 is the new 2011! Too bad we can’t get the JET back, but I heard that he & Cuban have had problems.

• ProBasketballPundit - Aug 12, 2014 at 4:38 PM

Didn’t you hear? Jason Terry got murk back in early 2013. I hear LeBron Raymone James was wanted for questioning but the crime remains unsolved.

3. itmgrindmachines - Aug 12, 2014 at 12:33 PM

Mavs did lose VC and Marion.. Without VC’s tough shot, it would have been 6 games, not 7.

• ddarqwon - Aug 13, 2014 at 12:10 PM

They also traded Calderon for Felton.

The author tried to present a feel good story about the Mavs off season but if you look closer it only works if you consider just one side of the issue ( what the Mavs gained) and ignore the rest ( what the Mavs lost and the improvement of other teams).
      Plus he would have you give special value to the moral victory of taking the Spurs to 7 games (but still losing in the 1st round),
      while ignoring the fact that they were an eighth seed that barely beat out 9th place Phoenix Suns to make the playoffs.

My guess is that Dallas may challenge for the 6th spot out West, and that is contingent upon whether Portland can duplicate their success from last season.
      The Spurs, Thunder, Clippers, Rockets, and Warriors are all still better than the Mavs, as I see it.
      I also think it would be foolish to dismiss Memphis if they are healthy.

• ybizzel - Aug 14, 2014 at 1:24 AM

We replaced those players with younger, better players. You must haven’t seen the Mavs roster?

4. 2016olympics - Aug 12, 2014 at 12:40 PM

Trade for Wilson Chandler to complete the trifecta!

5. spursareold - Aug 12, 2014 at 1:25 PM

It would have been nice to get Tyson Chandler…from 5 years ago.

Players who lean heavily into their athleticism rarely age well, and he’s got a bit of the ‘china doll’ reputation already.

• wlubake - Aug 12, 2014 at 4:08 PM

It would be terrible to get Chandler from 5 years ago. He was hurt most of that season.

Tyson’s numbers have maintained or improved since 2011. Carlisle knows how to use him. If he stays healthy, I bet he doesn’t look much different than he did on his last Mavericks tour.

6. devarajaswami - Aug 12, 2014 at 1:35 PM

Nice spin by Cuban.
    But no one can convince me that the incoming basketball IQ of the Chandler duo, Felton and Nelson is even close to the outgoing basketball IQ of Carter and Marion.

• wlubake - Aug 12, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Or Calderon.

7. leearmon - Aug 12, 2014 at 2:56 PM

I don’t know how great the Mavs’ offseason was especially considering they did trade for Raymond Felton. Also – and I know PBT isn’t the mecca for advanced stats, but if you look at the numbers, Dalembert and Tyson Chandler’s numbers last season are essentially identical. I by no means am saying that Chandler isn’t an upgrade over Sammy, but when packaged with Felton over Calderon, that may not be a great acquisition. Also the perimeter defense for Dallas is a huge question mark, as Parsons essentially replaces Marion. I’m excited to see what the Mavs can do this year, as Carlisle is one of the top coaches in the game, but I’m not as high on their offseason as many mainstream NBA reporters.

• urodaddy07 - Aug 12, 2014 at 11:41 PM

Would have really liked to see them keep Marion and Calderon

8. handsomerob86 - Aug 12, 2014 at 3:31 PM

Everyone seems to forget that Dallas added a very savvy vet who is pretty clutch himself in Jameer Nelson. I already know he will start above that bum Felton. I think this could work out alright for big D.

Can Rockets, Grizzlies keep up hot starts?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches