Charlotte makes it official, will bid for All Star Game in 2017 of 2018

Aug 12, 2014, 12:41 PM EDT

charlotte skyline in the evening before sunset charlotte skyline in the evening before sunset

The last time Charlotte hosted the NBA All-Star Game it took place the same day actress Emma Roberts was born (she of American Horror Story). It was when voters in Lithuania chose independence. Whitney Houston’s Super Bowl rendition of the “Star Spangled Banner” was a radio hit. Everyone was watching “Doogie Howser, M.D.,” “The Cosby Show” and “Cheers” on TV. Bernard King was still an All-Star starter.

It’s been a while.

And they want it back.

A delegation of Charlotte officials have made their way to New York on Tuesday, after a splashy press conference, to formally announce (what we reported yesterday), that Charlotte will bid to host the 2017 or 2018 NBA All-Star Game.

“The overwhelming support for the Hornets during their playoff run and rebranding has proven the passion Charlotte has for the NBA. And the worldwide fan base of the NBA makes this a perfect opportunity to showcase Charlotte and Time Warner Cable Arena on a global stage, said Will Webb, Charlotte Sports Foundation executive director in a released statement.

NBA Commissioner Adam Silver had said before the league would be interested, but upgrades to the Time Warner Arena would need to be made. Those upgrades — a partnership between the city and the Hornets ownership group — will submit plans for those upgrades next month, officials said at the press conference.

Hornets owner Michael Jordan is pushing to win back this market, one that had been stopped on and turned into a wasteland by the two previous franchise owners in that city. A winning team — the Bobcats made the playoffs last season then landed Lance Stephenson this summer — is a key step. An All-Star Game wouldn’t hurt.

It was said at the press conference that between eight and 10 teams are expected to bid to host either the 2017 or 2018 All-Star Games. The league will likely eliminate a few based on its criteria — enough hotel rooms close to the city (not 30 miles away), a convention space to host the NBA All-Star Jam Session (the side events with basketball games and activities), plus of course the arena and its amenities. It is expected the list will quickly get down to three or four venues to be considered.

However it will be the fall of 2015 before there is an announcement.

The 2015 All-Star Game is in New York and Brooklyn, the 2016 game is in Toronto.

1. mrlaloosh - Aug 12, 2014 at 1:03 PM

Charlotte? R u kidding me! Why not Salt Lake City?

• HitsDingers - Aug 12, 2014 at 1:29 PM

LOL I don’t know whether this is a serious comment, but it really made me laugh

2. ProBasketballPundit - Aug 12, 2014 at 1:52 PM

It’s a picture of my city on PBT! Sweeeet! See way over in the bottom right corner? There’s this little place called Phat Burrito. You won’t need another reason to put an all-star game in Charlotte.

• HitsDingers - Aug 12, 2014 at 1:53 PM

Ok, you’ve piqued my interest. I might have to spend the rest of my day figuring out how to acquire a Phat Burrito.

• ProBasketballPundit - Aug 12, 2014 at 1:58 PM

You know how sometimes you love a place and recommend it to somebody or take a date and they don’t have the reaction you were hoping for? That’s never happened to me at Phat Burrito. Seems like everybody loves it. The only advice I have is to get queso on the burrito… really ties everything together perfectly. And of course try some of their salsas.

• asimonetti88 - Aug 12, 2014 at 3:46 PM

I hate tacos and burritos… said no Juan ever!

• mackcarrington - Aug 12, 2014 at 4:49 PM

I’m impressed that people in Carolina even know what burritos are.

• ProBasketballPundit - Aug 12, 2014 at 5:09 PM

Are you from somewhere well known for burritos or something? I mean we have plenty of mexican places; I eat a ton of burritos from Phat Burrito & Chipotle and everybody else seems to like Q’doba.

• mackcarrington - Aug 12, 2014 at 5:51 PM

Well, I live in Southern California. I can walk down the street blindfolded and stumble into a REAL Mexican establishment that serves authentic Mexican food. Or I can just go over to my neighbors. Or stop by any taco truck in East LA.

3. junkmtb - Aug 12, 2014 at 10:46 PM

Charlotte will get the bid! The city has grown ten-fold since the glory days of the Hornets back in the 90’s and the last time they hosted the All Star game. The uptown TWC Arena is right in the middle of major hotels,restaurants and entertainment uptown (downtown or city center to some). Yes Charlotte has a night life!!! LOL Lessons learned from the previous time hosting are no factors now. Again the uptown arena and more hotels vs an arena that use to be on the west side of town. Charlotte also played host to the DNC for a week long list of events which proved successful. Bring it on!!!!!!

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches