Aug 12, 2014, 5:12 PM EDT
The Boston Celtics are really high on young big man Kelly Olynyk — so much so there were rumors he was off the table in trade talks with teams this summer.
So when you combine that with a slow part of the summer and sprinkle in the hyper-attentive Boston Celtics fans (and their occasional hyper-active imaginations) and the reports that Olynyk left Team Canada due to a wrist injury started to become a little thing.
Olynyk wants you to know it’s not any kind of thing. He spoke with Chris Forsberg of ESPNBoston.com and a youth camp the player attended.
Olynyk was coy on the injury, but downplayed concerns. He wasn’t wearing a brace and didn’t seem cautious while distributing high-5s to the kids as they bounded off a bus in front of Canobie (one of them attaching themselves to Olynyk’s leg and seemingly unwilling to let go).
“It’ll be all right,” Olynyk said of his wrist. Told how even minor injuries tend to become big stories in these parts, he playfully added, “It’s not career-ending.”
Olynyk said his return was simply precautionary. Canada didn’t qualify for the World Cup so that team is not playing much longer anyway.
The rookie out of Gonzaga averaged 20 minutes a game, scoring 8.7 points (on a quality true shooting percentage of .546) plus pulled down 5.2 rebounds a game. He showed a lot of promise, doing most of his damage close to the basket but also hitting 35 percent from three.
That’s why Boston sees him as part of the future. And why fans were a little concerned about the wrist.
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 5
- Rockets show it’s better to have James Harden than to not have Stephen Curry 5
- Stephen Curry leaves game after taking a hard fall, cleared to return (VIDEO) 7
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 18
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 9
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 30
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 31