Aug 12, 2014, 5:12 PM EDT
The Boston Celtics are really high on young big man Kelly Olynyk — so much so there were rumors he was off the table in trade talks with teams this summer.
So when you combine that with a slow part of the summer and sprinkle in the hyper-attentive Boston Celtics fans (and their occasional hyper-active imaginations) and the reports that Olynyk left Team Canada due to a wrist injury started to become a little thing.
Olynyk wants you to know it’s not any kind of thing. He spoke with Chris Forsberg of ESPNBoston.com and a youth camp the player attended.
Olynyk was coy on the injury, but downplayed concerns. He wasn’t wearing a brace and didn’t seem cautious while distributing high-5s to the kids as they bounded off a bus in front of Canobie (one of them attaching themselves to Olynyk’s leg and seemingly unwilling to let go).
“It’ll be all right,” Olynyk said of his wrist. Told how even minor injuries tend to become big stories in these parts, he playfully added, “It’s not career-ending.”
Olynyk said his return was simply precautionary. Canada didn’t qualify for the World Cup so that team is not playing much longer anyway.
The rookie out of Gonzaga averaged 20 minutes a game, scoring 8.7 points (on a quality true shooting percentage of .546) plus pulled down 5.2 rebounds a game. He showed a lot of promise, doing most of his damage close to the basket but also hitting 35 percent from three.
That’s why Boston sees him as part of the future. And why fans were a little concerned about the wrist.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 0
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 8
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4