Aug 11, 2014, 8:00 AM EST
Don’t fix what ain’t broken.
Last season when the Warriors starting five were on the court — Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson, Andre Iguodala, David Lee and Andrew Bogut — they outscored their opponents by 15.5 points per 100 possessions (or if you prefer 15 points per 48 minutes).
That is impressive. It also means their bench wasn’t nearly as impressive (as a team the Warriors were +4.8 per 48).
New Warriors coach Steve Kerr likely will keep the successful starting five together… but he’ll look at his options. Like maybe bringing Andre Iguodala off the bench, he told the San Jose Mercury News.
“Andre (Iguodala) started last year, which he probably will (again), but there’s a lot of options that we have because we’ve got really good players in Harrison (Barnes) and Draymond (Green),” Kerr said, adding that he would likely use the same lineup as last season. “But most of it usually comes down to how the combination fits. … How do the pieces of the puzzle fit?”
Unless Barnes returns to somewhere close to 2013 playoff form I’m not sure how this is a discussion. And even then it seems like a bad idea.
Iguodala brings a real defensive presence to the starting five — they were 6.3 points per 100 possessions better on defense when he played. Green was -3.1 per 100, Barnes was -4.8. Kerr’s going to take that out of the starting line up?
Iguodala had the best per-100 rating on the team, the Warriors were +13.7 per 100. He’s the glue guy this roster this roster needed. You can’t move him out of the starting lineup.
Kerr was most likely trying to fire up Barnes and Green here, the fact is Kerr needs to get more out of this bench. If he can do that, and bring more complexity and motion to the offense, he’s going to look like a smart rookie coach.
Smart people also don’t fix what ain’t broken.
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 0
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 4
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 18
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 60
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8