Aug 11, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Don’t fix what ain’t broken.
Last season when the Warriors starting five were on the court — Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson, Andre Iguodala, David Lee and Andrew Bogut — they outscored their opponents by 15.5 points per 100 possessions (or if you prefer 15 points per 48 minutes).
That is impressive. It also means their bench wasn’t nearly as impressive (as a team the Warriors were +4.8 per 48).
New Warriors coach Steve Kerr likely will keep the successful starting five together… but he’ll look at his options. Like maybe bringing Andre Iguodala off the bench, he told the San Jose Mercury News.
“Andre (Iguodala) started last year, which he probably will (again), but there’s a lot of options that we have because we’ve got really good players in Harrison (Barnes) and Draymond (Green),” Kerr said, adding that he would likely use the same lineup as last season. “But most of it usually comes down to how the combination fits. … How do the pieces of the puzzle fit?”
Unless Barnes returns to somewhere close to 2013 playoff form I’m not sure how this is a discussion. And even then it seems like a bad idea.
Iguodala brings a real defensive presence to the starting five — they were 6.3 points per 100 possessions better on defense when he played. Green was -3.1 per 100, Barnes was -4.8. Kerr’s going to take that out of the starting line up?
Iguodala had the best per-100 rating on the team, the Warriors were +13.7 per 100. He’s the glue guy this roster this roster needed. You can’t move him out of the starting lineup.
Kerr was most likely trying to fire up Barnes and Green here, the fact is Kerr needs to get more out of this bench. If he can do that, and bring more complexity and motion to the offense, he’s going to look like a smart rookie coach.
Smart people also don’t fix what ain’t broken.
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 21
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 15
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25