Aug 11, 2014, 2:45 PM EDT
“I don’t know anything about Angola, but I know they’re in trouble.”
—Charles Barkley as part of the 1992 Olympic Dream Team, before the USA played Angola. (That’s the game where he threw a hard elbow at an Angolan player during a 38-7 USA run, then explained it afterward saying the guy might have thrown a spear at him. It’s Charles being Charles.)
Serge Ibaka might as well have said the same thing about Angola.
Spain beat Angola 79-70 in a recent friendly exhibition as a run up to the World Cup in Spain in a few weeks, and this was the play of the game.
Rudy Fernandez’s between-the-legs bounce pass is the best part here but once the Thunder’s Ibaka goes up for the hammer throwdown it is all over.
The World Cup is going to have some quality basketball going on. And while the USA is one of the clear two best teams there, Spain has a legitimate shot at beating us.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 3
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 7
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4