Aug 11, 2014, 1:59 PM EST
You can’t do that, Drake.
The Toronto-based hip hop star may be a fan of wherever LeBron James is playing — notice how much he was around the Heat and trying to get into their locker room after they won a title, don’t be shocked if he’s now in Cleveland a lot — but he actually has a position in the Raptors organization. Officially he is their “Global Brand Ambassador” which means doing some marketing stuff, and maybe helping design some alternate jerseys, and likely not much else. Save for rolling lint.
If you’re a team official you cannot, no matter the circumstance, recruit players under contract. At the Toronto OVO festival Drake did a little light-hearted recruitment of Kevin Durant, as you can see in the video above (Durant was at the show). When it happened PBT’s Dan Feldman called it tampering, and apparently the league agreed, according to Marc Stein of ESPN.
Not a shock. Also pretty much just a slap on the wrist. But a reminder to Drake he has to go the full Jay-Z and give up his share of the team before he can go talking about players now.
Durant can be a free agent in 2016 and that has already become a buzz-worthy topic. Even though right now not even Durant knows what he is going to do. Two seasons is a couple lifetimes away in the NBA.
- PBT’s Sunday Night NBA Winners/Losers: Cavaliers shouldn’t hit panic button, may want to locate it 0
- Carmelo Anthony sits out second half vs. Portland with sore knee 2
- LeBron, after Cavaliers lose by 23 at home to Pistons: ‘Right now we are not very good. In every aspect of the game’ 29
- Paul Pierce ‘shocked’ by Celtics trade of Rajon Rondo to Mavericks 16
- Kobe Bryant will return to Lakers lineup Sunday vs. Suns 15
- Kevin Love benched entire fourth quarter of Cavaliers win over Magic 30
- PBT’s Top 10 NBA stories of 2014, No. 10: Anthony Davis’ breakout 22
- Rumor: Ray Allen leaning toward retirement, not return 12