Aug 11, 2014, 1:59 PM EST
You can’t do that, Drake.
The Toronto-based hip hop star may be a fan of wherever LeBron James is playing — notice how much he was around the Heat and trying to get into their locker room after they won a title, don’t be shocked if he’s now in Cleveland a lot — but he actually has a position in the Raptors organization. Officially he is their “Global Brand Ambassador” which means doing some marketing stuff, and maybe helping design some alternate jerseys, and likely not much else. Save for rolling lint.
If you’re a team official you cannot, no matter the circumstance, recruit players under contract. At the Toronto OVO festival Drake did a little light-hearted recruitment of Kevin Durant, as you can see in the video above (Durant was at the show). When it happened PBT’s Dan Feldman called it tampering, and apparently the league agreed, according to Marc Stein of ESPN.
Not a shock. Also pretty much just a slap on the wrist. But a reminder to Drake he has to go the full Jay-Z and give up his share of the team before he can go talking about players now.
Durant can be a free agent in 2016 and that has already become a buzz-worthy topic. Even though right now not even Durant knows what he is going to do. Two seasons is a couple lifetimes away in the NBA.
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 4
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11