Andrew Wiggins on trade for Kevin Love: “Whatever happens is out of my control”

Aug 11, 2014, 9:33 PM EDT

2014 NBA Rookie Photo Shoot Getty Images

Andrew Wiggins knows what is coming. And for a rookie he has done a very good job of staying on message.

“I let my agent and my support system handle that, I just love playing the game of basketball and I know the NBA is a business,” Wiggins said to a handful of media members including PBT in Las Vegas for the final days of NBA Summer League.

Back then the deal was still in the negotiations/rumor phase, now it is agreed to — Andrew Wiggins, Anthony Bennett and a first round pick for Kevin Love — and the two sides (plus the Philadelphia 76ers, moving Thaddeus Young to Minnesota for Anthony Bennett) are just waiting for Wiggins 30-day moratorium after signing his rookie deal to be up Aug. 23.

He’s still saying basically the same things now, according to the Associated Press.

“Whatever happens is out of my control,” he said. “I’m not worrying about it right now.”

Surrounded by more than a dozen reporters and nine television cameras at a promotional event at his former grade school in suburban Toronto, Wiggins acknowledged that life as a first overall pick has brought him extra attention.

“There’s more eyes on me, more criticizing, stuff like that,” he said.

What else is he going to say? He’s handled this entire situation as gracefully as one could.

Wiggins is going from playing for a potential contender to a rebuilding team in Minnesota — one with some nice young talent in himself, Ricky Rubio, Zach LaVine, Chase Budinger, Gorgui Dieng and Nikola Pekovic. Still, that is a team with a lot of growing and building still to do. And Wiggins just keeps saying the right things about just wanting to play basketball.

On the bright side, being from Toronto, the Minneapolis winters shouldn’t be a shock to the system.

Latest Posts
  1. It’s official: J.R. Smith re-signs with Cavaliers

Sep 2, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT

J.R. Smith J.R. Smith

He’s making $1.5 million less than if he opted in this season, but he does have another year.

2. Brad Stevens hints he will explore taller, more traditional lineups

Sep 2, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT

Brad Stevens AP

With the additions to the Celtics’ roster, this is the smart play.

3. Report: Free agent Glen Davis to have ankle surgery, out 2-3 months

Sep 2, 2015, 8:31 PM EDT

Glen Davis Glen Davis

He could be back on the court around Thanksgiving, if a team picks him up.

4. Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges

Sep 2, 2015, 6:31 PM EDT

Houston Rockets v Golden State Warriors - Game Five Getty Images

Don’t bring a loaded Glock to an airport, people. It’s pretty much common sense.

5. Report: Clippers planning a mascot

Sep 2, 2015, 4:13 PM EDT

Los Angeles Clippers v Utah Jazz Getty Images

It won’t be called Seagull Kneivel

6. D-League Showcase will use net rating as tiebreaker

Sep 2, 2015, 3:14 PM EDT

2015 NBA D League Showcase Getty Images

Advanced stats aren’t always the answer

7. Shaq with the coolest fist bump ever (video)

Sep 2, 2015, 2:17 PM EDT

2015 NBA Finals - Game One Getty Images

If only I could get people to run up to fist bump me while I walk…

8. Report: 76ers interested in Kendall Marshall

Sep 2, 2015, 12:23 PM EDT

Philadelphia 76ers v Milwaukee Bucks Getty Images

Point guard reportedly working out in Philadelphia

9. Ty Lawson on coming to Houston: “It’s definitely a breath of fresh air”

Sep 2, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT

Sacramento Kings v Denver Nuggets Getty Images

For Lawson personally I hope this move and this situation is what he needs to get his life in order.

10. Report: Pistons signing Eric Griffin