Andrew Wiggins on trade for Kevin Love: “Whatever happens is out of my control”

Aug 11, 2014, 9:33 PM EST

2014 NBA Rookie Photo Shoot Getty Images

Andrew Wiggins knows what is coming. And for a rookie he has done a very good job of staying on message.

“I let my agent and my support system handle that, I just love playing the game of basketball and I know the NBA is a business,” Wiggins said to a handful of media members including PBT in Las Vegas for the final days of NBA Summer League.

Back then the deal was still in the negotiations/rumor phase, now it is agreed to — Andrew Wiggins, Anthony Bennett and a first round pick for Kevin Love — and the two sides (plus the Philadelphia 76ers, moving Thaddeus Young to Minnesota for Anthony Bennett) are just waiting for Wiggins 30-day moratorium after signing his rookie deal to be up Aug. 23.

He’s still saying basically the same things now, according to the Associated Press.

“Whatever happens is out of my control,” he said. “I’m not worrying about it right now.”

Surrounded by more than a dozen reporters and nine television cameras at a promotional event at his former grade school in suburban Toronto, Wiggins acknowledged that life as a first overall pick has brought him extra attention.

“There’s more eyes on me, more criticizing, stuff like that,” he said.

What else is he going to say? He’s handled this entire situation as gracefully as one could.

Wiggins is going from playing for a potential contender to a rebuilding team in Minnesota — one with some nice young talent in himself, Ricky Rubio, Zach LaVine, Chase Budinger, Gorgui Dieng and Nikola Pekovic. Still, that is a team with a lot of growing and building still to do. And Wiggins just keeps saying the right things about just wanting to play basketball.

On the bright side, being from Toronto, the Minneapolis winters shouldn’t be a shock to the system.

1. money2long - Aug 11, 2014 at 9:40 PM

Sorry. I’ve given up on chase budinger. But he can still contribute. When he plays.

• av416 - Aug 12, 2014 at 10:39 AM

Minnesota is colder than Toronto…THE WORLD NEEDS TO KNOW

• abovethelies2 - Aug 18, 2014 at 4:57 PM

Yeah sure its colder…….it probably a whole 1 to 2 degrees different . Get real please..

2. sportsfan18 - Aug 11, 2014 at 9:55 PM

Buy some long johns kid…

You’ll need ‘em… beginning the last week of August up there…

My aunt lives in Minny/St Paul and has since before I was born… been there a few times…

It’s weird ice fishing in July, but you’ll get used to it…

• Mr. Poindexter - Aug 11, 2014 at 10:12 PM

We don’t ice fish in July jacka**.

• sportsfan18 - Aug 11, 2014 at 10:54 PM

gee poindexter…

tell me something I don’t know… of course you don’t

I do have family up there and I’ve been several times. it’s COLD

It was very EASY to see I was joking and yet you took a joke seriously.

think that makes you the jacka**

• smoothaswilkes - Aug 11, 2014 at 11:39 PM

You should probably realize that Wiggins is from Canada. Toronto to be exact. It gets pretty cold there too. Same with Cleveland.

• jcmeyer10 - Aug 12, 2014 at 7:21 AM

If my 95 year old grandma can handle it, then so can some kid from Toronto.

• 1historian - Aug 12, 2014 at 8:51 AM

True,

BUT

Can grandma play any D?

• jcmeyer10 - Aug 12, 2014 at 10:36 AM

Good question. Actually she D’d me up pretty good when I went in for my fourth helping a couple Thanksgivings ago.

3. mackcarrington - Aug 11, 2014 at 9:58 PM

This kind of reminds me of when the Bucks traded Kareem to the Lakers in1976. They got some nice pieces that made them a good team for a long time. If management does this right, they’ll be a decent team for some time to come. But Minnesota hasn’t shown that their front office will do what it takes to maintain a winning team.

4. nfl4days - Aug 11, 2014 at 10:04 PM

I think the cavs could have informed wiggins that they would trade him or that there was a good chance he wouldnt be with the team. Keeping him in the dark like this way kinda rubs me the wrong way.

• kopy - Aug 12, 2014 at 9:46 AM

Wiggins knows. He’s just doing the smart thing and keeping his mouth shut since he’s not allowed to be traded yet. Reporters in Minnesota were saying Wiggins’s circle has already started lining up local endorsement deals.

5. BrownsTown - Aug 11, 2014 at 10:11 PM

Hired?

• BrownsTown - Aug 11, 2014 at 10:12 PM

Still not as egregious an error as your certainty that LeBron would never leave Miami, especially for Cleveland. LMAO…..

6. kindasporty - Aug 11, 2014 at 10:18 PM

What else is he going to say?

Well he could say something really selfish or dumb. That’s not abnormal for young sports stars. But instead he’s not only saying the right things, but he has the right attitude.

• antistratfordian - Aug 12, 2014 at 2:12 AM

Well except that he doesn’t really care about winning and would rather be in Minnesota so he can selfishly carry a bad team – but at least he’s carrying something, eh? That seems to be the important thing to him.

• bigmeechy74 - Aug 12, 2014 at 11:26 AM

I suspect you are trolling. Because sometimes you actually make intelligent comments. But this comment is so stupid that I have to believe you arent’ being serious. At least I hope not

• antistratfordian - Aug 12, 2014 at 2:49 PM

That was a rhetorical comment. You know, Melo stays in New York instead of going to Chicago and people call him selfish – that his priorities are not in order – that he doesn’t want to win. I’m just applying that same thinking here to Wiggins’ comment about preferring Minnesota to Cleveland. There really should be no reason for him to say that other than ego (I mean that in a philosophical sense) – he appears more worried about personal issues rather than being part of a winning team. So, you know, what’s good for the goose…

• 76ersdoubletank - Aug 12, 2014 at 12:02 PM

LOL- becuase Wiggins has control over where he’s traded.

• antistratfordian - Aug 12, 2014 at 2:50 PM

He has control over saying where he’d rather be and why he would rather be there.

• bigmeechy74 - Aug 12, 2014 at 3:03 PM

He is 18. He’s just trying to find his way. You are really over thinking this

• antistratfordian - Aug 12, 2014 at 3:36 PM

He’s 19. I’m not over thinking anything. He wants to go to a bad team for personal reasons – that’s more important to him than being a piece of a winning team.

Maybe you think it’s okay for him to devalue winning so much because he’s young and that perhaps he has time, but that’s taking so many things for granted. It’s naive, is what it is.

7. pukpokito - Aug 11, 2014 at 11:02 PM

He’s fed up. He is surrendered that he is not going to be part of the Cavaliers run and just want this to be over and done with so he can start his career in a place that is grateful to have him as a building block…which of course he will walk away from in a few years to a bigger city and a better situation that can grow his “brand”.

8. dinofrank60 - Aug 11, 2014 at 11:14 PM

Leave him alone, please.

9. jolink653 - Aug 12, 2014 at 12:44 AM

I don’t understand why the Wolves would trade Bennett for Thaddeus Young. Young is a nice player and all, but if they’re going young with this trade, it makes a lot more sense to keep Bennett and build this thing up again. Trading for Young is essentially saying we’re blowing it up and starting young, but we’re not. I would keep Bennett and see what he can do now that he got his breathing problem fixed and is in much better shape

• kopy - Aug 12, 2014 at 9:51 AM

This Wolves fan agrees. I think it’s a bit of a selfish play by Flip Saunders. Being the GM and Coach, he wants to stay competitive to keep off the hot seat in case he wouldn’t survive a season or two of tanking.

But maybe he honestly thinks the Young trade is the right move, and he’s not buying the Bennett “He’s looked great in summer league!” hype.

• tved12 - Aug 12, 2014 at 1:14 PM

I agree with you, but I can also see the Wolves point of view. Bennett might be a bust, where Thad is a proven 13 and 5 guy. Not great numbers, but better than what Bennett has shown so far.

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches