Report: Al Harrington to play in China next season

Aug 10, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT

Al Harrington, Josh Powell Al Harrington, Josh Powell

Al Harrington has played 16 years in the NBA, but a combination of injuries and team dynamics have limited him to just 44 regular season appearances in total over his last two seasons.

It appears as though Harrington still feels he has something to contribute, but without any concrete offers to join a team for next season, he’s taking a deal to play overseas instead.

From Jared Zwerling of Bleacher Report:

Source: Al Harrington has signed to play in China next season. Announcement to come Monday. Beyond China, still envisions coaching w/ Wiz.

Al Harrington’s Chinese team will be the Fujian SBS Xunxing Sturgeons. One-year deal.

Harrington was a strong veteran locker room presence for a young Wizards team that made a little bit of noise in the playoffs last year, and was an assistant coach for them at Summer League in Las Vegas.

But he still wants to play, and since teams in the states have been slow to come calling, China always seems more than happy to add some recognizable NBA talent to its professional basketball scene.

1. montrealknowledge - Aug 10, 2014 at 12:49 PM

It’s all because they need somebody to guard Artest. Great move, I follow that league very closely and Harrington is the type of player that will create the type of match up problems that is needed in a guard heavy league that is dependent upon jumpers off screens…. Okay, I have zero idea what I am talking about.

• elcaminobilly - Aug 10, 2014 at 6:00 PM

I was just getting ready to ask where to follow it, I enjoy the game enough to follow more than just the NBA, lol.

• Lujah - Aug 11, 2014 at 5:31 AM

LOL, I was going to ask what channel does that come on. Regardless if you even had a different cable company than I did.

Unrelated and Unimportant: I liked on knicks. My sis took a pic with him in hale & hearty. True story. LOL

2. sportsfan18 - Aug 10, 2014 at 2:14 PM

I hope he’s playing in China for the love of the game and not because he needs the money…

He’s earned over $86.5 million in the NBA…

• andreboy1 - Aug 10, 2014 at 2:17 PM

before or after taxes?

• cherubrock11 - Aug 11, 2014 at 8:57 AM

either way, he should be set.

• genericcommenter - Aug 11, 2014 at 1:39 PM

After taxes, agent fees, and all that- maybe he “only” had access to about $40 million spendable cash.

3. shanelsweet - Aug 10, 2014 at 6:25 PM

Smart move by Al. Get over there and get in shape playing against folks that aren’t quite D’League talent for the most part. If you don’t get hurt, then the Wiz will hire you come Spring. If not, you’ve made some decent money for your trouble of going to China.

4. imakcds - Aug 10, 2014 at 9:47 PM

an NBA caliber player going to China, some perspective:

when i was young, I was ALWAYS on the court. I loved to play, but didn’t even make Varsity in high school.
    a couple years out of high school, I moved to Hawaii for a few months, along with 3 others from the Los Angeles area. None of us were accomplished ball players, one made Varsity at a very weak athletic school.
    We got into a heated 4 on 4 duel, back and forth, and just barely lost, something like 21-19.
    Turns out one opponent was All State, one of his teammates All League.
    Point: the Level of Competition is drastically weaker.
    Metta and Harrington will monster on Chinese basketball.

5. Lujah - Aug 11, 2014 at 5:36 AM

oh my god. I stopped at ‘when i was young’. Nobody wants to hear your story.

I’m sorry and will already apologize because I just wanted to be a jerk for no reason. I shouldn’t be up right now IdK. sorry.

• genericcommenter - Aug 11, 2014 at 2:02 PM

When I was young, we used peach baskets. Under one day I went up and cut my finger and destroyed the basket in the process.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches