Aug 10, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
It seems fairly clear that USA Basketball has seen enough of John Wall to know that for whatever reason, he isn’t a fit for their rosters.
And Wall knows it, even though he keeps going back to try to prove otherwise.
Wall was left out of the initial pool of players who were being considered to play for Team USA this summer at the FIBA World Cup, and subsequently, at the Olympics in 2016. He was similarly left off of the expanded roster, before receiving an invite to participate in the Las Vegas mini-camp just days before it was set to begin.
The NBA leader in total assists this past season spoke with CSNwashington.com on Saturday at his charitable foundation’s “Back2School” event for children in Washington. Asked if he was given a fair shot to make the final 12-player roster, Wall said, “Nah, I don’t think so, but it’s a part of the game. I’m just happy to have the opportunity to be there and represent my country. I wish them the best of luck and hope they can win gold.”
“I’ve been (around) for four years in a row. I think that’s enough time,” Wall said. “Everybody had the same fair amount of time as far as being (in Las Vegas) and playing. I think [Team USA] already had kind of in their mind what they wanted to do and what decisions they were going (to make).”
Part of this, of course, is due to just how deep at the guard position Team USA is. Derrick Rose, Stephen Curry, Kyrie Irving and Damian Lillard are all still there, and one of them is likely to get cut before the final 12-man roster to play in the Worlds is announced.
But it does feel like Jerry Colangelo and Mike Krzyzewski have already drawn conclusions about Wall, despite giving him a late shot to change their minds.
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 5
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 2
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10