Aug 10, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
Greg Monroe is one of the top two free agents left on the market, but there’s a pretty significant catch. which is that his restricted status means that the Pistons can (and presumably would) match any offer Monroe might receive.
Because of that fact, Monroe — much like Eric Bledsoe, who is in an identical situation in Phoenix — never received an offer sheet from another team, and the ones with the cap space to do so have all spent those available dollars acquiring other players.
Bledsoe was offered (and subsequently rejected) a four-year deal for $48 million, and we know this because the team has gone on record saying that they believe it was a fair offer.
Monroe was reportedly offered five years and $60 million, and then reportedly offered more money per season over less years to entice him to sign by making him the team’s highest-paid player. But Monroe himself refuted those numbers on Sunday.
— Greg Monroe (@M10OSE) August 10, 2014
Monroe has admittedly been a bit out of the loop as of late, so while it’s possible that offer was never presented by the Pistons, it’s more likely that his agent didn’t bring it to him because he’s trying to get a more lucrative deal for his client, or at least one which he believes is a better combination of years and dollars that would be aimed at maximizing Monroe’s earning potential.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 32
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 64
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 2
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31