Andrew Wiggins told his former college coach he hopes to be traded to Minnesota

Aug 10, 2014, 3:30 PM EST

Andrew Wiggins Getty Images

Andrew Wiggins has been put in an unusually difficult situation for a rookie, being immersed in trade rumors ever since being taken as the number one overall pick in this summer’s draft by the Cleveland Cavaliers.

The selection of Wiggins came before LeBron James announced his decision to come to Cleveland as a free agent, which obviously changed the team’s outlook on the upcoming season.

With James in place, the Cavaliers went from a rebuilding, borderline playoff team in the East to one that could potentially contend for a title, and do so immediately — which means that acquiring proven All-Star talent in trade takes precedence over waiting for a newly-drafted rookie to reach his potential.

That brings us back to Wiggins, who in all likelihood will be headed to Minnesota as part of the deal that will bring Kevin Love to the Cavaliers.

It would be easy for him to feel slighted in some way, like he isn’t considered good enough to even play a small role on a team that’s expected to compete for a championship. But Wiggins is taking the high road, choosing to believe that the situation in Minnesota will be better for his long-term prospects.

From The Associated Press (via Sporting News):

Andrew Wiggins told Kansas coach Bill Self that he wants to be traded from Cleveland to Minnesota because the No. 1 overall pick believes it will be better for his long-term future. …

When all this trade stuff started, I talked to Andrew and Andrew told me, “I hope I get traded,” Self said. “And I’m like, ‘No you don’t.’ And he said, “Coach, I do. It’s better for me, knowing my personality and what I need to do, to go somewhere where I’m forced to be something as opposed to going in there where they’re going to be patient with me and I’m going to be a piece.” …

“Even though in a weird way everybody would love the opportunity to play with LeBron because you’re guaranteed winning,” Self said, “for the longevity of his career, he needs to develop that mindset to be the guy, for him to be great, and I think being Minnesota will help him do that.”

Wiggins backed up this sentiment with a post to his Instagram account on Saturday.

“I’m here to beat the odds that was set against me, wished the worst luck to anyone who bet against me,” the caption read.

Wiggins is essentially using this turn of events as motivation to succeed before his NBA career has even gotten started, and there’s nothing wrong with that. He will be forced into action much more quickly in Minnesota than he would have been in Cleveland, and he knows better than anyone if that’s going to be the best thing for him in terms of his personal and professional development.

Latest Posts
  1. Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’

Dec 20, 2014, 9:30 AM EST

Memphis Grizzlies v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

Lin understands why Bryant always gets the ball in these situations, but admits he’d like to get some opportunities.

2. Serge Ibaka blocks Carlos Boozer at the rim, does Mutombo finger wag (VIDEO)

Dec 20, 2014, 8:00 AM EST

Serge Ibaka, Carlos Boozer AP

As the Thunder ended up winning by one, 104-103, this block ended up being very important.

3. Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO)

Dec 20, 2014, 2:07 AM EST

Damian Lillard AP

Lillard needs to get mentioned with the game’s top point guards.

4. Former No. 2 overall pick Darko Milicic loses first kickboxing fight (VIDEO)

Dec 20, 2014, 12:02 AM EST

Former NBA player now trying to make his way as a fighter.

5. Danny Ainge says uncertainty about Celtics’ ability to re-sign Rajon Rondo prompted trade to Dallas

Dec 19, 2014, 10:50 PM EST

Danny Ainge AP

There are a whole host of reasons Rondo was traded; this is just the most convenient for Boston’s brass.

6. Spurs’ Kawhi Leonard has torn ligament in right hand, return unclear

Dec 19, 2014, 7:25 PM EST

Kawhi Leonard AP

Leonard was the Finals MVP for San Antonio last season.

7. Kevin Durant to sit out vs. Lakers with ankle sprain

Dec 19, 2014, 6:35 PM EST

Oklahoma City Thunder v Golden State Warriors Getty Images

This is the smart move by the Thunder.

8. Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston

Dec 19, 2014, 5:59 PM EST

Orlando Magic v Boston Celtics, Game 6 Getty Images

It’s kind of moot now, but it’s not a surprise.

9. Kobe Bryant says he’s not recruiting Kevin Durant to Lakers. Yet?

Dec 19, 2014, 5:15 PM EST

Kobe Bryant, Kevin Durant AP

Lakers star: ‘If the opportunity came up, then that’s the time to have that discussion’

10. Raptors unveil new logo, get ribbed by Nets’ official Twitter account about it

Dec 19, 2014, 4:29 PM EST

Nets v Raptors Eastern Conference Quarter Finals Game 7 Getty Images

Black-and-white version of Toronto’s new logo looks similar to Brooklyn’s

11. Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston

Dec 19, 2014, 2:56 PM EST

Minnesota Timberwolves v Brooklyn Nets Getty Images

This gives the Rockets a little more depth on the wing with Harden and Ariza.

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches