Agent for Ray Allen refutes latest report, maintains no decision has been made on whether he’ll play next season
Aug 10, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
We’ve been here before.
Once LeBron James officially declared he’d be joining the Cavaliers next season, reports of former teammates lining up to play alongside him began to trickle in.
Now, here we are again.
An ESPN report on Saturday stated that Allen has told people close to him that he intends to play next season, though the specific team remained undecided. A short time later, his agent released a statement saying that no decision has been made.
From USA Today:
Ray Allen still might return for a 19th season in the NBA. He also might retire. But he has not officially made a decision yet, according to agent Jim Tanner. …
“As Ray has previously stated, he is taking this time to make a decision whether or not he will play next season,” Tanner said in a statement obtained by USA TODAY Sports. “Any reports otherwise are false.”
In reality, both reports could be true at the same time.
One says Allen has told people close to him he’ll play, the other says no official decision has been made. There’s zero incentive for anyone to go out on a limb with this story if the information isn’t accurate, and yet it’s clear that Allen isn’t ready to announce anything that would commit him fully to playing next season.
Hopefully this is the last round of “will he or won’t he” that we’ll have to play before this gets sorted out.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 5
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48