Agent for Ray Allen refutes latest report, maintains no decision has been made on whether he’ll play next season
Aug 10, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
We’ve been here before.
Once LeBron James officially declared he’d be joining the Cavaliers next season, reports of former teammates lining up to play alongside him began to trickle in.
Now, here we are again.
An ESPN report on Saturday stated that Allen has told people close to him that he intends to play next season, though the specific team remained undecided. A short time later, his agent released a statement saying that no decision has been made.
From USA Today:
Ray Allen still might return for a 19th season in the NBA. He also might retire. But he has not officially made a decision yet, according to agent Jim Tanner. …
“As Ray has previously stated, he is taking this time to make a decision whether or not he will play next season,” Tanner said in a statement obtained by USA TODAY Sports. “Any reports otherwise are false.”
In reality, both reports could be true at the same time.
One says Allen has told people close to him he’ll play, the other says no official decision has been made. There’s zero incentive for anyone to go out on a limb with this story if the information isn’t accurate, and yet it’s clear that Allen isn’t ready to announce anything that would commit him fully to playing next season.
Hopefully this is the last round of “will he or won’t he” that we’ll have to play before this gets sorted out.
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 1
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 43
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 65
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 7
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 31
- Owners vote down NBA Draft lottery reform, system to stay same for this season 47
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 26