Aug 9, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
Mason Plumlee is having a breakout summer, so much so that there is a chance the second-year center of the Nets could make the USA Basketball roster for Spain. Coach Mike Krzyzewski has been surprised and impressed by his play — which is saying something because Coach K saw him for four years at Duke.
He wants to carry that over to the NBA season and start for the Nets… except that starting center job belongs to Brook Lopez. Arguably the best offensive center in the NBA. A guy who missed most of last season with a broken foot but who will be back ready to go for training camp. Are you really going to start Plumlee at the four over Kevin Garnett (and take minutes away from Mirza Teletovic)?
Still you have to like what Plumlee told Mike Mazzo of ESPNNewYork.com.
“Oh yeah,” Plumlee replied this week when asked if he wanted to start. “What player doesn’t wanna start?”
Nets coach Lionel Hollins was out in Las Vegas watching Plumlee during the first part of Team USA training camp a week ago. (A number of coaches with players on the roster were out to watch their charges.)
“[The Nets coaches] were out [there], they watched every [USA] practice out in [Las] Vegas, the whole staff was out there. They’re on the job, so if I don’t know [my roll on Nets], I’ll know soon.
“But [Lionel Hollins is] a very positive coach. He gave me something after each practice to look at. And then the same with, I met Paul Westphal, Jay Humphries, [John] Welch was out there. It was cool for me because they were doing the… I don’t know what you’d call it, their little coach’s retreat or whatever. I got to talk with them all week.”
Plumlee is going to play a big role for the Nets next season, that’s not in doubt. He averaged 18 minutes a game last season (started 22 games later in the year) and you can expect whether he starts or comes off the bench his minutes will jump to the mid 20s. Also, depending on match ups, he’ll get run at the four and the five.
One other note: because the Nets are deep up front, don’t be shocked when Plumlee’s name starts coming up in trade rumors — teams are going to call about him. The Nets aren’t going to be interested (unless some team comes in way over the top and blows their doors off) but they are going to get calls.
- PBT Extra: Expect a healthy Stephen Curry for Game 5… sorry Houston 2
- Hawks’ excellent season shouldn’t be discredited because of playoff exit 19
- Cavaliers complete sweep of Hawks, advance to NBA Finals 72
- Kyrie Irving back in Cavaliers lineup for Game 4 vs. Hawks 5
- NBA: No Game 5 suspension for Dwight Howard, flagrant-1 for hit on Andrew Bogut stands as called 21
- Report: Kyle Korver to have surgery on his ankle 5
- PBT Podcast: We’re back (finally), talking Curry, Harden, and what should be a Flagrant Foul 0
- PBT Extra: Will Dwight Howard’s foul on Bogut be upgraded to a Flagrant 2? Should it? 13